1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question to any Denon 3802 users!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paulherb, Jul 29, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Before I upgrade my amp to a Denon 3802 I just have a few questions.

1. I'm I right in saying that because it is a 7 channel Amp I have some kind of future proofing as if they do bring a 7.1 discrete format out I can add the necessary processor?

2. How does the Amp handle the new rear EX/ES channel as in on a THX cert AMp the channel undergoes some kind of re equalisation(I've read). As the Denon is not THX cert does this mean it will not sound as good?

3. How does the 3802 handle a 6.1 DTS discrete rear channel. Does it pump the 6th stereo channell to both new rear surrounds?

Any help would be most welcome!!

Cheers

Paulh.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

Answers to you questions::)

1) The Denon has 7.1 external inputs to future proof it to some extent. You would connect the newer processor to these.

2) THX is a matter of taste, some people like it, some don´t. The 3802 also has a Cinema Equaliser which trims the treble to achieve a similar effect. But does´nt have the other "bits" that THX does.

3) Yes. It plays the channel through both speakers (assuming you have them both selected in Speaker Selection). But its not Stereo, its a mono signal split between the two.

Cheers

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. I'm I right in saying that because it is a 7 channel Amp I have some kind of future proofing as if they do bring a 7.1 discrete format out I can add the necessary processor?

Yes, that's true - if someone makes such a processor then.

2. How does the Amp handle the new rear EX/ES channel as in on a THX cert AMp the channel undergoes some kind of re equalisation(I've read). As the Denon is not THX cert does this mean it will not sound as good?

THX and re-equalization is not limited to Ex/Es surround sound formats. IMHO you are confusing "THX Surround Ex" with THX itself.

3. How does the 3802 handle a 6.1 DTS discrete rear channel. Does it pump the 6th stereo channell to both new rear surrounds?

The 6th channel is NOT stereo, it's mono only. In a THX Surround Ex setup (See above) you would using two surround back speakers of dipole type but the signal remains mono as it's just splitted (twice amplified though, i.e. for each speaker individually).

Note: Some non-THX amps, like e.g. Yamaha, offer only one channel of amplification for Ex/Es.
    IMHO you can choose on the Denon if one or two surround back speakers are connected. (?)

4. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers Gents

Paulh.