Question(s) about video connection formats

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andrus108, Feb 1, 2009.

1. andrus108

andrus108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Philips MCD119 all-around player (DVD's, audio etc.) with component (Y/Pb/Pr) output, and a Samsung CRT TV with SCART RGB input. Right now I have these two connected via the standard yellow composite cable, but I've been poking around, and found on Amazon a cable with component on one end and SCART on the other. I've also done some research about component/RGB signals and know the difference, but I'm still curious: would connecting the component-out disc player to RGB-in TV work by using only the cable? (I know about the expensive signal converters)

This also leads to another question: S-video signal is comprised of Y/C. Would converting component signal Y/Pb/Pr into S-video Y/C have more success than component to RGB?

Thanks,
    Radek

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Very few displays will accept a component input into a scart socket and I am betting that your Samsung doesn't, so forget the cable that you have seen on Amazon.

You have mentioned composite and component outputs from the Philips. Assuming that it doesn't also offer an S-video output there is no point in converting component to S-video (which your CRT probably will accept).

Bite the bullet and get a component to RGB converter.