Question regarding Sky's HD Service

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by berserkgoose, Oct 21, 2005.

1. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hello. I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, but basically I've just bought a new apartment which is gonna be ready around Feb 2006 (a conversion of an old building in our village - very nice).
    Anyway I hear SKY HD is gonna be ready sometime around then so I was planning on getting it for the apartment. The builders have said there is going to be a satellite dish to share between all the apartments of which there is 10 in total.

My question is, would I be able to buy a Sky HD box and connect to the 'communal' satellite dish (are there any modifications required for existing dishes?), and if so would there be any compromise in the quality of the feed when up to 9 other apartments will be using the same dish?

Any information would be appreciated :)

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I suspect that the answer is yes. Apparently existing Sky owners need only swap their box for a new Hi-def one without any changes to the dish so you should be ok.

As long as the signal distribution hardware is adequate and the dish is correctly aligned then there should be no problems on a shared system - shared systems are quite common so I wouldn't sweat it.
    Paul

3. stevebrowne

stevebrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But remember you will need two satellite feeds into the apartment. Many shared systems have tended to have only one feed per apartment, which isn't much use for Sky+ or Sky HD when it arrives.

4. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

Steve, can you elaborate more on why I would need 2 feeds? I don't quite get that
    Cheers

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I read somewhere you would need 4 feeds for the HD box but I don't know where.
    You currently need 2 feeds for Sky+ to allow for recording of 1 channel and watching of another.
    4 feeds could allow for the possibility of watching different channels in different rooms?

Steve

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY+ HD will have two tuners like SKY+ (unless there is a huge surprise) and that requires two independent feeds so that you can watch one channel and record another. In reality that function is the baseline required and copies the long established VCR/TV viewing and recording method but with the tuners in one box not two.

If you want to use multiroom (two SKY+ units or one SKY+ and one standard) then you will need 3 or 4 feeds which is why a QUAD LNB is used. SKY have been investigating the use of an OCTO LNB to meet the demands of larger households when having two dishes is impractical.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    so you don't actually need a quad LNB for sky+ on its own? But you still need two cables?

8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    You can make do with a dual-lnb and two cables for Sky+ on its own. Basically each tuner needs its own LNB because the receiver switches the LNB between four different modes (horizontal/vertical and low/high) and needs to do this independently for each tuner to allow you to record/watch any combination of channels in the H/V and Hi/Low range.

In theory a Quad LNB (running with each LNB in one of the combinations) can be combined with multi-way switches to feed as many receivers as you like - though in many cases it is easier to use an Octo-LNB instead.

Sky routinely fit a quad LNB because many people upgraded from Sky to Sky+ and wanted to relocate their existing receiver to another room. The existing receiver and the Sky + would together require 3 LNB feeds and cables - so a quad made sense as the baseline.