Question regarding recording schedule clashes...

Foster1984

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having recently had Sky+HD installed, my partner and I had a question about recording schedule clashes.

We have gone a bit overboard on setting what we want to record, as after moving from freeview there just seems so much stuff on. :thumbsup:

What we wanted to know is, if a schedule clash warning appears on the screen and we cancel one of them, does it cancel just that episode or does it cancel the series link for that programme at that time slot?

I'm asking as we have set some series to series link that are on frequently/often on particular channels (e.g. Ace Of Cakes), so when there is a clash we want to cancel that recording, but we don't want it to remove the series link all together. But I'm having trouble remembering the smaller details of the EPG (Such as best way to identify clashes in the EPG), from when I used to use it at work over a year ago, the Sky+HD box is taking us both some time to get used to after moving from a Humax 9300T.

Cancelling a recording before it starts that has a series link on it will also cancel the series link. The next recording with series link is only set when the recording of the current episode actually starts.

Cancelling a recording before it starts that has a series link on it will also cancel the series link. The next recording with series link is only set when the recording of the current episode actually starts.

Thank you.

So as an example, to make sure I understand...

If at 10pm I had Family Guy, Desperate Housewives and Cupcake Wars set to record via series links, and chose to cancel Cupcake Wars so not to miss the other 2. I would have to re-setup the series link for Cupcake Wars if I wanted them to record in future?

How come it doesn't warn you that there is a clash when you setup the series links? :thumbsdow

How come it doesn't warn you that there is a clash when you setup the series links? :thumbsdow

Because it never sets up more than the next programme - i.e. only one programme to be recorded in the series at a time. The EPG data only contains the link to the next one programme ID and that future programme ID is only added to your future recordings when the first future recording starts and the box searchs through the EPG listings looking for the next one. You have to bear in mind that all future recordings are only entered into the planner as programme IDs and not as fixed timings.

Because it never sets up more than the next programme - i.e. only one programme to be recorded in the series at a time. The EPG data only contains the link to the next one programme ID and that future programme ID is only added to your future recordings when the first future recording starts and the box searchs through the EPG listings looking for the next one.

Im just used to my old PVR telling me when there was a lash, even if the clash was 4-5 days away. I can see this becoming frustrating when wanting to record one off things like films. :thumbsdow If say the box is on standby because I'm out, how does the Sky+HD box decide which 2 scheduled recordings to prioritise out of the 3 I have set?

You have to bear in mind that all future recordings are only entered into the planner as programme IDs and not as fixed timings.

Maybe this is the difference between the SKY+HD box and the Humax.

In theory this is true, but in practice you can't guarantee either way. The Sky software is so buggy that it might do either way, so you have to check.

I've physically removed programmes from the planner days before they record, but the series link just keeps coming back :mad:
The box will record the first 2 items in the planner, specifically in the order listed in the planner (the order they were added), so the 3rd item (last item added) for 9pm will be failed due to a clash. It will tell you if there is a clash when you add items to the planner, but as you have found out series links just add themselves and you have to scan through to check if you have more than 2 items recording in a timeslot.

Last edited:
mattclarkie said:
The box will record the first 2 items in the planner, specifically in the order listed in the planner (the order they were added), so the 3rd item (last item added) for 9pm will be failed due to a clash.

Cheers, that's useful to know.

I've physically removed programmes from the planner days before they record, but the series link just keeps coming back

Quite true.

I've taken to removing the green icon before deleting an item ... but sometimes it still comes back :mad:

[Although, on balance, I'd rather it was this way around than things deleting themselves !]

Regards

Cheers, that's useful to know.

Forgot to state. This falls down slightly when you have 2 channels recording at once followed by 2 channels recording where 1 channel is already recording.

Example
8-9 Sky 1
8-9 BBC 1

9-10 Living
9-10 FX
9-10 Sky 1

This may cause Living and Sky 1 to record as the box is already recording Sky 1. I've known my Sky Boxes to do 1&3 from the planner or 1&2 from the planner in this situation. But 99% of scenarios it would do 1&2 from the planner.

Safest thing to do with the Sky box is never try to guess what it is going to do and try to record programmes when they are repeated at ~12am as many channels repeat the 9-11 programmes a few hours later (Sky Atlantic does this for example). Try to avoid recording at 3am if possible as this is the time period Sky do their software updates.

I impart many years of resolving scheduling conflict knowledge :)

Safest thing to do with the Sky box is never try to guess what it is going to do and try to record programmes when they are repeated at ~12am as many channels repeat the 9-11 programmes a few hours later (Sky Atlantic does this for example).

But bear in mind the new (to me) and annoying fact that some Sky Atlantic programmes (e.g. Game of Thrones) run with only one commercial break on first broadcast, but many breaks in repeats.

Jerry

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom