Question regarding faulty goods

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a wireless router back in April from amazon.co.uk, it has become faulty. Who would I send it back to?

Amazon or netgear?

Thanks.

i would think amazon...but have you spoken with netgear support or tried to download newest firmware?....i have found netgear to be really helpful and knowledgeable

Thanks for the help lads :thumbsup:

I have phoned netgear, but I really struggle with Indian accents, I couldn't understand a word he said. Then again, their call centre could be in northern ireland :D

I have the latest firmware on my router as well.

The retailer is generally responsible for after-sales service. You should contact them first and go to the manufacturer only if that fails. Some retailers have an arrangement with the manufacturer for the manufacturer to carry out their support, in which case they will tell you that.

Don't let them fob you off with the manufacturer.

Your contract is with Amazon.

And under the distance selling regs, any faults that arise within the first six months are deemed to have existed when you bought the goods unless the retailer can prove otherwise. You are still comfortably within the six months, so the onus is on Amazon to refund/replace/repair, or to prove that the goods were damaged through your actions.

I personally would go with Netgear in my circumstances, but amazon are good so that may be your best bet. I would have to disagree about Netgear Support being anything other than atrocious!!!! It is ipmsosilbe ot unrdseatnd tehir 1st lnie sorpput! They also read from a script and cant help you unless you follow all their stupid instructions, though second line support is much better. The products, however, are generally good, and I am a Netgear tech on their forums when I have time.

Thanks Lynx. Thats exactly the same router I have, and it has the exact same fault. I'll take a look and let you know. You're a star! :thumbsup:

It has to be Amazon. They have been helpful in the past. Latest firmware is usually a good check though. Is there a 'reset to defaults' mode that you could try in case something has locked up?

PM me if you have problems. A look on th Netgear forums site will show me as the resident DG834G expert... I know most stuff that its needed to know about that router, great device when you know what to look for.

I had a problem with a Netgear router a while back, I called them directly and they replaced the unit... Their CS is very good IMO...

You can approach either of them but generally speaking the retailer is your best bet - unless you are looking for technical advice in which case the manufacturer should know their products best

Thanks a lot guys. I will give amazon a bell today. Anyone notice how amazon's telephone number isn't listed on their website. :rolleyes:

A quick search on yell.co.uk sorted that out ;)

If they can't sort me out, I will give you a PM explicitlyrics, many thanks :clap:

talk about coincidence after replying to this post the other day my DG384 died!!....I think it was just power cable to be honest but it gave me excuse to buy the the newer GT 108mbps version. Having connected it up though I am not getting an IP Address for the ADSL port. I've spoken to Netgear who were very helpful and we tried a bt test connection and pinged a few ip address to prove the router was working so I suspect the problem is Wanadoo.....their tech support is useless and unless you have one of their routers they can't advise a solution!!!.........any ideas chaps? I could get a Wanadoo router and then replace it again with the netgear which hopefully should pick up the settings.........but there must be an easier solution that......mustn't there?
edit: just looked at link above and it seems maybe GT wasn't best option after all.......but i did hook up the G version again using the new power lead and still had no IP address.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom