1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding ceiling mounting and cable management

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by neoboy259, Dec 20, 2002.

1. neoboy259

neoboy259
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to ceiling mount my projector, but am unsure what to do regarding the video and power cables. The power lead that came with my Z1 is only about 1.5m long :(
    I'll go have a look in maplins later for a longer power cable to stretch from the ceiling, down a wall and into a mains socket, but I've worked out that I'll need a 10meter run :eek:
    Anyone have any suggestions or explain how they're managing their cables???

Ta

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I'm there now.

Just hacked the end off the European version of the AE100 power lead and made it up into a 6m lead. That'll come out the back and down the wall to a socket. Its a white cable so I'll try just cable tacking it.

Video is harder. It'll come out and go left to the wall, then along the cornice to the front of the room and down the corner to the AV cabinet.

Not sure about how to hide it yet. Considering trunking, but my stock of 16x25mm is a bit tight for 3 component cables and a VGA cable.

Does cornice have space behind it? If so, I might try pulling down the current, putting the cable in the corner and putting it back up, or fresh. Otherwise I think I'll just stick with the trunking.

3. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here - cut the foreign cable, added more on, with a new plug. If you can't do that, I'd abandon the whole project and get someone in!!

I used mini trunking. JUST managed to squeeze in VGA, Svideo and power cable. I had to hammer the "top" of the trunking on! (PS. do this with a cloth on the hammer head - else your trunking will look like chewing gum.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    If ceiling mounted, did your trunking stay there? The cable is quite heavy.

Should I get the self-adhesive trunking, or is no more nails enough?

5. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trunking - self adhesive is fine - as long as you make sure the ceiling is clean (dust free). No more nails (or GripFill) will certaily do the job - but be warned - when you try to remove the trunking the ceiling will come with it! I have seen people's plasering destroyed because NoMoreNails is soooo strong.

I screwed mine to the ceiling - did not need wall plugs for such small screws. Make sure you pre drill the holes in the trunking. Makes life a lot easier, and don't over tighten screws or they will strip the thread they make in the ceiling.

Stick up self adhev. and if it comes down, screw it in!