Question regarding cabling dolby digital to surround system

nickj1000

Hi Folks

Not sure if anybody could answer this one. I have a plasma Panasonic TV P50GT50B that accepts Dolby digital inputs, a Yamaha Surround System that has Dolby digital and and a SKY HD Box that has Dolby digital. If I use an optical cable form my sky box to the surround I get a Dolby Digital input coming into the the surround and also the Dolby digital playback playback. The same happens with Blue ray players. Both the sky box and the blue ray player must connect direct to the Yamaha to achieve the dolby digital input.

If however I connect an HDMI from any device into my TV and then connect the TV through an optical cable to the Yamaha the input is not in Dolby Digital. Seems to be some form of stereo signal which the Yamaha can break up into 7 way stereo or normal surround or surround + or surround cinema etc but not Dolby digital and you can really tell the difference.

I am wondering if the TV only plays the Dolby digital though its own built in speakers speakers and will not transmit it through to a surround system through external cabling.

Any ideas would be great, I understand it is a tough one I suspect

Cheers

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Most ‘older’ TV’s only support 2.0 PCM on their HDMI Inputs - even if they support 5.1 DD from onboard tuners and apps!

Joe

nickj1000

Most ‘older’ TV’s only support 2.0 PCM on their HDMI Inputs - even if they support 5.1 DD from onboard tuners and apps!

Joe
Thanks for that Joe. This one is 10 years old so that makes sense, always frustrated me a bit and never understood what the problem was. Guess I will have to wait for the oled purchase to get the full sound. Cheers

nickj1000

Joe
Hey Joe. I hope you see this message. After your message I rattled my brains how to get round this HDMI cable issue. The main problem really was my Amazon Fire stick TV as the only connections are Ethernet in and HDMI out so only getting 2 way stereo going to the surround. . Then I thought well reading your message and as I get broadcasts in 5.1 DD the the TV must have the correct tuner etc. And then I saw the word Apps in your message which I have never used on the TV because of the Fire stick and anyway the TV had little or nothing on it when i bought it and it did not work well. So I tried to get onto the internet on the TV and managed a poor wireless connection and it wanted to upload new software which took about 40minutes. It then restarted and low and behold Netflix appeared. Could not get it to work so I swapped my network cable from my Sky Box which I only use for terrestrial broadcast through the dish now and connected that to the TV and I logged into Netflix. Low and behold Dolby Digital 5.1 and 1080p working with no stutter. Now I have terrestrial TV in Dolby Digital and Netflix in Dolby Digital as well on a 10 year old 50 in Plasma Panny with no burn at all. I will hold off the OLED buy for it bit now, sound is to me 60% of the enjoyment. What can I say, I wish I was rich and could send you some money. Cheers!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What can I say, I wish I was rich and could send you some money. Cheers!’ - think we all have that dream :)

No worries - great that you worked out a fix and no money spent, too often we all rush to replace perfectly decent kit.

Enjoy the system.

Joe

nickj1000

What can I say, I wish I was rich and could send you some money. Cheers!’ - think we all have that dream :)

No worries - great that you worked out a fix and no money spent, too often we all rush to replace perfectly decent kit.

Enjoy the system.

Joe
Thank you matey :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom