1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding ATRAC3 & ATRAC3plus

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by constantine_jk, Apr 10, 2005.

1. constantine_jk

constantine_jk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Helo :hiya:

I have noticed that when using SonicStage, the options for ATRAC3plus are: 48, 64 & 256kbps. For ATRAC3, the options are: 66, 105 & 132. I have read that ATRAC3plus offers better quality at less kbps when compared to ATRAC3. Is this true :confused: ? If it is, is ATRAC3plus at 64kbps better than ATRAC3 at 132kbps :lesson: ?

Thanks in advance

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,230
    Sigh :) Every so often sum1 asks 4 difference (no offence intended). Try:
    http://www.sony.net/Products/ATRAC3/tech/atrac3plus/index.html
    http://www.sony.net/Products/ATRAC3/tech/atrac3/index.html

Anyway why would u want such low bitrates? I know better quality = bigger file size but with increasing drive sizes + getting cheaper, it won't matter if u have large file sizes in future. Someone may tell u difference but isn't it really down 2 individual + your ears?

P.S out of interest wot is your player?

3. constantine_jk

constantine_jk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've got an vgf-apl1 and I am not so bothered about the space, but I just wanted to how ATRAC3 is compared with ATRAC3plus and thus I mentioned the 64kbps ATRAC3plus and 132kbps ATRAC3plus. The 256kbps ATRAC3plus is I believe far superior than ATRAC3 anyway.

Thanks

4. pharris007

pharris007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi :hiya:

Sound quality is very subjective, so the best thing to do is judge for yourself.

get one or two tracks that you enjoy, then transfer them over to your walkman in the different bitrates. listen to them over a cup of coffee and decide for yourself.

it worked for me, there is a slight difference between atrac 132 and atrac+256 but for the amount of space it saves i allways go for the old 132. i save the 256 for the very best cd i alleays listen too. :smashin:

5. constantine_jk

constantine_jk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I did the test and I came to the same conclusion. ATRC3 132 for most of the CDs and ATRAC3plus for the very best :thumbsup: ! Thanks a lot for your help