1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question regarding Arcam DV 79

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by spikeyboy3, Jul 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just moved house and though i would treat myself to some new HT kit so bought the Arcam DV79, AVR 300, Pioneer 504 Plasma and Ruark Epilogues for rears to replace my Mission 77 DS.

To say im well please with Arcam items is an under statment - im blown away at how much better the picture and sound is over my old Denon AVR 3300 and Pioneer 656.

Just one question though, when watching a DVD the DV79 displays on the Plasma various things when i press a button on the remote to show what ive pressed- ie x2, x4, x8 for FF and RW, D Digital, stop, play etc etc etc - but after watching a film for around an hour when i press a button nothing is displayed on the plasma - i have to stop the film go into setup and then exit and once again the items are displayed on the plasma.

Is that fact the DV79 stops displaying these items after a set time (dont know exact time) an error or is it by design ? cant find anything in the set up menu that needs adjusting.

Spike

2. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a puzzle. I have a DV79 and I get the x2, x4, x8 on screen any time I use them. I don't recall getting the others, tho- I'll have to check. I use the S-Video connection, but I'd expect the display to be the same regardless of connection type.

3. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Suppose i should state im using HDMI connection.

Other things displayed are "resume stop", "Stop", "Dolby D" when first playing a dvd etc.

Spike

4. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spike will check it out on my kit when I get chance and report back. Have you had the YUV over HDMI fix installed on your media box?
    Lee :)

5. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The YUV things is something i need to check to see if i need it fixed - but having no Internet at home atm (good old BT) means i havent checked to see what i need to do to check it - im running via RGB over HDMI at the moment.

Spike

6. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You just need to go to the Arcam setup screen and see if you can change the digital video to YUV over HDMI. You must not be in "Force DVI" tho.
    YUV over HDMI is the no compromise setting IMHO.

Lee :)

7. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - in that case i dont think i need the upgrade as i have been running with YUV on just to see if i could see any difference in picture quality.

Force DVI is not enabled - will give it a god just on YUV and see if the items are still displayed after an hour or so.

Spike

8. jonjon

jonjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must try the YUV over HDMI too. I called Pioneer about it anyway and they said they would get back to me. That was 3 weeks ago.

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    YUV over HDMI to me made a very small diff to picture quality. And part of that may have been my imagination. However you might as well get your media box updated/replaced to get it enabled - you never know what other bugs etc they have ironed out in the new version.