Question - Rega Elicit R & Denon AVR

Dragongjf

Novice Member
Hi All. I'm considering upgrading my current system which consists of a Sony VA T777ES AVR amp (a brilliant amp which when bought was at the top end of the Sony audiophile range), Rega Planar 3 & Exact MM front end, Sony UBP X800 UHD Bluray with B&W 602 S2 fronts and matching dialogue & rears.

I'm considering replacing the Sony 777 with a Rega Elicit-R and Denon AVR (probably a second hand X3500H) and later auditioning the B&W 706 S2 fronts. I intend using the Direct HT out from the Denon to the pre in on the Rega and connect the front speakers to the Rega.

The surround sound AV will I have no doubt be satisfied via the Denon. Whilst vinyl is my go to I would like to enjoy my SACD & CD collection on occasions (via the Sony Bluray player) and also intend to delve into streaming some hi def music (via the Denon). I would be grateful if anyone (Gibbsy?) could offer some general advice/thoughts on my suggested upgrades please? Also I appreciate that the Rega Elicit-R is an analogue amp and therefore I would need to use the Denon DAC to convert the SACD/CD's before passing through to the Rega. Can anyone comment on this/any problems/constraints and how to control via the Denon from a practical perspective. I presume Hi Def streaming via the Denon to the Rega would be doable?

Thanks Guys

gibbsy

Running an Elicit alongside a Denon is very easy to set up and use. You'll have no trouble there. What concerns me is how you are going to use the Sony for SACD and CD and the limitations of the Sony X800. It will be fine for multi channel playback but if it is going to be the only player then it also has to use HDMI to the Denon for stereo playback of SACDs and CDs. That means it will have to use the Denon to decode them.

The weak link for stereo music is going to be the Denon's pre-amp. The Elicit's power amp section which will be used is very very neutral. It will show up the Denon's lack of stereo skills all too well.

What I use is a Pioneer LX500 for multi channel playback into my Denon which is fine. For CD and SACD playback I have at the moment a Marantz sa8005 SACD player connected by analogue to the Elicit. A standalone SACD player is going to be more important than the Sony for any music as the vast majority of your collection is more than likely going to be stereo.

The other problem you have is the lack of true UD players available at this time. Certainly ones with at least a stereo analogue output which the Pioneers do have.

For stereo music you still need to cut the Denon out of the circuit otherwise the Elicit will be wasted except for TT use. Depends now how many stereo SACDs you have as well as CDs.

As for Elicit itself I only have one word for it. Superb.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
How about adding a Topping E30 DAC, the Sony blueray player has a coax digital output so could be used via that for music playback.

The topping also has a few other inputs that could be handy, especially if you want to try streaming and have a laptop you can connect via USB

Dragongjf

Novice Member
Bora da Gibbsy and thanks for responding. I've read some of your previous posts so I knew you had a Denon & Rega setup. I guessed I would have an issue with the Denon DAc and before posting my question I did look into buying an external DAC to provide a better pre am stage. The downside with my Sony Bluray is that I would need an external DAC with a HDMI input as my understanding is that the Opt & Coax Dig outputs cannot support SACD (licensing restriction). You won't believe this but I sold a dedicated SACD player 2 years ago....doh!!
If the Denon DAC Stereo side is as poor as you suggest I will need to source either a good seconhand SACD/CD player or an external DAC which can use the Sony blu ray as a transport and for this it will need to have HDMi input. Any thoughts? Diolch.

Dragongjf

Novice Member
How about adding a Topping E30 DAC, the Sony blueray player has a coax digital output so could be used via that for music playback.

The topping also has a few other inputs that could be handy, especially if you want to try streaming and have a laptop you can connect via USB
Hi Jamie and thanks for taking the time to respond. As I've mentioned to Gibbsy I have thought of using an external DAC but it would require a HDMI input as my understanding is that Coax and Opt outs do not support SACD due to Sony licensing restrictions. Any thoughts?

gibbsy

Hi Jamie and thanks for taking the time to respond. As I've mentioned to Gibbsy I have thought of using an external DAC but it would require a HDMI input as my understanding is that Coax and Opt outs do not support SACD due to Sony licensing restrictions. Any thoughts?
Prynhawn da.

The optical can only pass PCM and not the DSD required. The Sony should, I repeat should so best check, that DSD will be converted to PCM for optical. That may be restricted if HDMI is also in use. Problem again with that with a standalone DAC is that the analogue signal will be put back into the digital domain again. With SACD you do need the clearest signal path.

If you look for used blu ray players, non 4K, then the Pioneer LX models have a stereo analogue output and I have used the analogue outputs on my old LX58 to the Rega for all stereo playback until I bought the Marantz.

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'll be honest I don't know that much about SACD.

@gibbsy are you sure the LX71 supports SACD, AFACT you need to step up to the LX91 for SACD.

gibbsy

I'll be honest I don't know that much about SACD.

@gibbsy are you sure the LX71 supports SACD, AFACT you need to step up to the LX91 for SACD.
I'm not actually and upon checking it is not a full UD spinner. My bad. I know the LX58 does as I owned one. Just look on evil bay and there's one selling for £325. Damn I knew I should have held onto mine. Worlds gone mad with used prices on AV kit.

I'll edit my earlier post. :smashin:

Dragongjf

Novice Member
Thanks Gibbsy, your latest comments noted and appreciated. So SACD is going to present a problem. I can accept that and "move on" as long as my (much bigger collection) CD's can be played back with a good stereo "image". You advise that the Denon will not be up to that (based on it's pre amp and DAC) so I need to either look for a good second hand CD player or use an external DAC (which has a better DAC/pre amp than a reasonably priced good used CD player). As I have the transport side (Sony bluray player) which I'm led to believe is very good I'm leaning towards a good external DAC and connecting it via the Sony coax out. Anyone any thoughts on this? Would the Topping E30 be sufficiently better/a good investment or would I be better to get a v.good second hand CD player with better DAC/pre amp and if so recommendations please?

gibbsy

I'd go down the DAC route and use the Sony as a transport. You can still use it for stereo SACD depending on how the Sony will convert it, or not. Looking at used prices for UD players they are just silly at the moment. A standalone stereo player may be a cheaper option and SACD players in that format are readily available as they are still embraced by a lot of manufacturers.

I have three SACD spinners (four if you want to count my just in case Denon DBT-3313 UD player which is in storage). Both the standalone players have a better performance over the UD player via analogue. It's important to me as I have around 60 SACDs most of which are stereo only.

Dragongjf

Novice Member
Diolch yn fawr Gibbsy. I'm leaning towards an external DAC so hopefully someone on the forum can give some advice/ recommendations. That's now a priority as I want to utilise the Rega Elicit-R for CD as well as vinyl.

Cymru am byth.

gibbsy

Siarad Cymreig?

Dragongjf

Novice Member
Dim siarad cymraeg. I try when I can. I'd love to but here in England there is no where to learn. Have been away for going on 40 years but return home quite often as we have family throughout South Wales.

Keep well Gibbsy (any relation to Scott?)

Cymru am byth!!

gibbsy

Dim siarad cymraeg. I try when I can. I'd love to but here in England there is no where to learn. Have been away for going on 40 years but return home quite often as we have family throughout South Wales.

Keep well Gibbsy (any relation to Scott?)

Cymru am byth!!
No, but my first cousin played football for Wales (in the World Cup) and Spurs. Daft bugger picked up the wrong shaped ball. Never mind, we did eventually forgive him.

Dragongjf

Novice Member
LOL!!...keep well mate...when we return home we know we are back with good people...people that care for each other and not for themselves.....but that's Cymru for you.....miss it big time.

god bless,

as always Cymru am byth, boi!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom