1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question? Ref: Red dot on Tv screen, Sony VTX-D500U

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Ivor_Biggern, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Ivor_Biggern

Ivor_Biggern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hi, im just wondering if anyone can help me?

Ive just bought a Sony VTX-D500U freeview box off Ebay and when its set up all i`m getting on the screen is a red dot on a black blank background with the display at the top for which channel i`m on but no picture!

Ive set it up correctly and ive tried a few different ways with the scart in and without it and with the ariel direct to the Tv instead of through the video and still nothing!

Their is a slot for a card, do i need one as i thought you didn`t with it being freeview TV. The only thing i can possibly think of is it being the ariel on the roof but ive recently had new coax fitted to that and the engineer said the ariel seems fine, do i need a digital ariel or should i be able to pick it up on a normal one?

The reception i get on my normal ariel is perfect with no distortion and i have an all sony set up incl dvd player, tv and video and now the freeview box which is Sony!

any help would be appreciated!

Thanx

2. ivanwilson

ivanwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you get a digital signal in your area? There's a few web sites where you can check reception by entering your postcode.

http://www.freeview.co.uk/

If you receive signal via a relay then you won't get freeview. Just because you get good analogue doesn't mean you'll get digital (good, bad or none).

Have you any nearby friends or neighbours that receive freeview i.e. digital through an aerial?

The red dot means no signal, IIRC a square dot means poor signal.