Question re Yamaha 3070 and 3080

Colin151

I currently have a Yamaha 3050 receiver and would like to switch to the 3070 or 3080 (to get the DAB tuner, better YPAO and better DSP/soundfields).

Does anyone know if the 3070 and 3080 UK models have the same kind of “UK/EU” sound tuning that the 3060 had? (Which I believe originated at AV forums)

I had a 3060 in the past and didn’t like the “UK tuned” sound with my Proac speakers. It sounded far too relaxed. The Proacs are warm sounding speakers. I have no doubt that the UK tuning works well with other more upfront sounding speakers brands like KEF/MA etc but it’s no use for me. I don’t want to change my speakers.

If the 3070 and 3080 have the UK tuning too I’d rather stick with the 3050 for now until some better Dirac Receivers come out.

I couldn’t get on with the Arcam 550 sound (also too relaxed). I previously had a NAD T777V3 that sounded great but the fan cooling noise was far too loud and the lack of ability to adjust speaker distance with Dirac engaged was tragic.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Tried using pure direct? Also which ypao mode did you use?

In pure direct on my Yamaha it's a bit too sibilant buy in flat mode it sorts it (ruark speakers) in natural it's too dull like putting a couple of thick blankets over the speakers

Colin151

In pure direct on my Yamaha it's a bit too sibilant buy in flat mode it sorts it (ruark speakers) in natural it's too dull like putting a couple of thick blankets over the speakers
Yeah I have tried using all the modes on the 3060. I usually use flat as a base on Yamaha recovers then Tweak the bass region as it’s usually quite off (too prominent) with YPAO.

The 3060 just gave a sounds I’d describe as a bit lacklustre and too “polite” in any mode, the 3050 non EU tuned model gives that well balanced Yamaha sound I like, a good balanced of things- ballsy enough when required but also good refinement. If only the Yamaha’s had Dirac they would be near perfect. The speakers blended together quite a bit better with the NADT777V3 using Dirac but the fan noise made it a no no for me.

I can’t find it any info online as to whether the UK/EU tuning used on the UK 3060 was also used on the 3070 or 3080. If anyone knows would be good to hear from you.

Colin151

Yeah I have tried using all the modes on the 3060. I usually use flat as a base on Yamaha recovers then Tweak the bass region as it’s usually quite off (too prominent) with YPAO.

The 3060 just gave a sounds I’d describe as a bit lacklustre and too “polite” in any mode, the 3050 non EU tuned model gives that well balanced Yamaha sound I like, a good balanced of things- ballsy enough when required but also good refinement. If only the Yamaha’s had Dirac they would be near perfect. The speakers blended together quite a bit better with the NADT777V3 using Dirac but the fan noise made it a no no for me.

I can’t find it any info online as to whether the UK/EU tuning used on the UK 3060 was also used on the 3070 or 3080. If anyone knows would be good to hear from you.

Colin151

Colin151

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Considered just getting stereo amp to add to the system? Gently avr are not great compared to decent stereo amp

Colin151

Considered just getting stereo amp to add to the system? Gently avr are not great compared to decent stereo amp
I’m not talking about listening in stereo. The problem I had with the UK tuned 3060 sounding too polite with my particular speakers (compared to the 3040 or 3050) was with movie material/surround sound.

Apologies for the duplicate posts. Had a phone problem. I can’t delete them.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom