Question re: Switching from Sky HD to Tivo

TheDoctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Can the Tivo automatically output SD at 576i/p and HD at 1080i, like a Sky HD box? I use external video processors, so this is a MUST if i'm going to switch from Sky HD to Tivo.

Thanks

Can the Tivo automatically output SD at 576i/p and HD at 1080i, like a Sky HD box? I use external video processors, so this is a MUST if i'm going to switch from Sky HD to Tivo.

Thanks

No, the TiVo auto detects the capabilities of the device it is attached to by HDMI. You can override the settings to a lower rsolution, but this effects all output and cannot be assigned to a specific type of native signal. THe TiVo's output is fixed dependent on the settings.

Thanks for the reply. That's such a shame and will put off customers with high-end home cinema set-ups, using external video processors.

Hopefully they'll be able to sort this out via a firmware update but until then, I'll stick with Sky HD.

Cheers

You can switch individual playback between resolutions on the fly, including 576i if you've configured that. You can override the HDMI detection too.

According to the help it's *supposed* to do it automatically if you select multiple resolutions but currently it's a manual thing (and for playback only, not recording).

The Tivo also pillarboxes properly which the SkyHD never did, so there's less need to output SD.

When watching SD, I want it unmolested by the sat/cable box (ideally 576i but 576p will do), then my Lumagen Radiance can deinterlace and scale the signal to perfection - then automatically switch to 1080i when I switch to a HD channel.

It's very simple to implement. All of my Sky and non-Sky satellite receivers do it, all well designed bluray players do it (576i for DVD and 1080p bluray).

I see this as a design fault and hopefully TiVo will fix this, otherwise a lot of true videophiles will avoid this box.

I am not sure if I am a true videophile, but I don't really watch any SD anymore so it's not an issue for me.
I also have a prorammable remote so in theory I could set up macros to switch resolution quickly.
Also I guess a lot of radiance owners are able to afford both skyhd and TiVo, so you could permanently set TiVo to 1080i and use sky for SD.

However, it is early days so hopefully a fix will come soon.

Last edited:
I still watch some SD now and again but with Virgin my SD viewing would increase - no Disney Cinemagic HD, Nat Geo Wild HD, Eden HD (have young children who love these channels).

I understand and could easily programme my remotes - but you shouldn't have to with a premium product.

Having kids is far more expensive than owning a couple of Lumagen Radiances :) - just using the annual nursery fees, I could get 7 Radiances every year :eek:

Last edited:
I've had a great idea for a new game called 'Pooh Sticks'. You shove twigs up a bear's bottom and then run away before he catches you. The loser is the first one to get decapitated and/or mauled.

Anything (including getting mauled) is better than the BBC's 'Don't Scare The Hare' (Dusty Bin with ears and a carrot fixation):thumbsdow

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom