1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re Surround Modes on Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SteveVarg, Oct 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. SteveVarg

SteveVarg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 1905 and was wondering about the various surround modes. I know it does them all but what about the way it auto detects. By this I mean that when I play a 5.1 dvd the receiver allows me to activate the EX mode. Does this mean the DVD is actually mastered with 5.1 EX (doesn't say on jacket) and thats why I can activate it OR does the receiver let you just do it anyway with an 5.1 source.

Hope the question is not confusing but I always thought EX decoding had to be mastered on the disc. I can activate the EX mode with nearly all of my 5.1 dvds. Is this right?

Thanks guys

Steve

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It is right. You can activate EX mode on any 5.1 disc. Originally, all proper EX/ES tracks were supposed to have an encoded flag on them which told the Amp to switch on the Surround Back speakers automatically (if you have the AFDM - Auto Flag Detect Mode set to on). There was a bit of technical hitch with some earlier decoders with regards to this so the majority of most proper EX/ES tracks aren't flagged at all. Nowadays we get some that are, some that aren't.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    as far as i can remember, all the DVDs i own that have EX on them automatically flag up the EX setup on my 3803......however depending on what i've been doing with my amp, non EX DD soundtracks i usually have to choose EX......but sometimes its still there from last time...lol.......

EX discs have been recorded in such a way that an EX decoder knows which bits from the L & R rear channels to take....in the same way Pro Logic works from a Stereo source such as Nicam or Sky..........

non-EX discs are dependant on how well they were mixed as to whether EX'ing them on your amp will sound good or not truly noticable....a crap DVD soundtrack will probably not be worth EX'ing, but a good one with lots of steering will be worth it...
    with the ones that are not worth it you can always just mirror the rear left and right over two rear speakers, at least on my 3803 i can....

ES for DTS works similar and different......you can ES Matrix any 5.1 DTS, same applies, if its well done, then its worth it, if it isnt a well done soundtrack then may be better not too........some discs are labelled ES Matrix which means its definitely worth engaging it, it wont be flagged tho......then you have ES Discrete or ES 6.1...this will be flagged and your amp should automatically set it up......sadly there are few Region 2 discs with 6.1 Discrete......i only have a few, LOTR trilogy, Blade 2, um, im sure i have another 2 but cant remember atm...lol