1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Re: Philips 32PW9509

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by LMD, Dec 18, 2004.

1. LMD

LMD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Looking to buy a new TV for the first time in years and currently trying to make my mind up between CRT and Plasma.

The Philips model is one of the CRTs I am likely to audition as most magazines rate it as the best CRT on the market. Having found this excellent forum I was surprised to see the amount of criticism this TV and the Pixel Plus 2 technology in particular comes in for after reading the glowing magazine reviews.

I'd appreciate any feedback on performance and any problems, cheers ;)

2. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm in the same position myself with the 9509 being near the top of my wish list.

As it would be used mostly for terrestrial viewing i'm wondering if it would be a wise choice as according to many comments it seems to highlight the analogue flaws.

:rolleyes:

3. bongoman

bongoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently purchased the 9509 to replace a faulty 4:3 29" Pannasonic. I was very disappointed with the effects of all the digital processing to overall pq when viewing pictures through an aerial (connected directly to the tv) or satelite channels via Sky panasonic receiver (via RGB scart). Even having switched off as many of the processing options from the menu and set the contrast, brightness, colour settings, the overall pq was inferior to my old panasonic, even though it has the potential to display better detail, contrast, more vibrant colours (albeit in my opinion not as natural or realistic as my old panasonic). Along with the set's inability to handle motion effectively, which was far from natural, this was serious flaw particularly when watching football. Colours were vibrant, but one particular problem with both off air, satellite and dvd was that white's and black's were overexposed, resulting in loss of detail (possibly could be fixed through a service menu, could not find one in the main menu system). PP2 is a double edge sword, can produce incredibly three dimensional scenes, particularly with characters in the foreground, this unfortunately has the effect of flattening the background, resulting in a very unnatural depth of focus to the picture. PP2 also does not handle motion particularly well. At it's best when watched with the movie plus mode watching a DVD through rgb scart, excellent detail, clarity, colour reproduction, still contains the odd digital gremlin, very fast motion almost feels like frames have been taken out from an object moving from a to b, plus the occasional, but very minor digital artefacts (could be the dvd encoding, although this was lotr, which is a very well produced disk). This TV has since gone back, just a huge headache (literally!) did not want to have to keep working at the settings for different channels and sources. Not all the tv's fault, larger screen will expose the quality of the source more, I think I'll stick to a TV with minimal digital processing until TVs improve, bought as a result of reading several mag reviews including what hifi who have proveded to be quite reliable with alot of purchases in the last 10 years, but certainly not this one.

4. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    eek...i'd just about decided to get one. thanks for the heads up ;)

5. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thoroughly recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48. Regards, yt.

6. martin999

martin999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Overall, i'm very happy with my 32pw9509. I use the MoviePlus and other settings on min. One thing i thought was poor, is the layout of the rear scart sockets. Have bought some high grade ones to use now, but hard to plug in as one overlaps the other, just done it but think the 3rd scart socket was a late add on maybe ?

Martin999

7. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Red16v i've finally gone for the tosh, in the end it was the component input that swayed it. :)