1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question re: KDLL32MRX1 Media Cable

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mattgb, Jun 21, 2005.

1. mattgb

mattgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to the formum so hello all.

I am getting a Sony KDLL32MRX1 delivered soon but have a quick question that those of you who already have one should be able to answer: How long is the standard cable that connects the display to the media box?

I can`t find this information anywhere (even at my local Sony store they did not know - the one on display was all wired into the wall so probably had the 10 metre optional cable - although they couldn`t confirm this either).

I am asking since I need the cable to be at least 5m long and it`ll be just my luck that it`ll only be a couple of metres long and I`ll have to fork out the extra £100plus quid for the optional 10 metre cable (which will probably be, realtively, rubbish it being a Sony branded cable rather than a decent independent one).

Actually, that begs another question - the media cable looks proprietary to me - is this the case? or could I get a decent cable from Ixos/QED/Other to replace the standard one? (I`ll only need video transmitted to the display since have a separate amp to handle the sound).

Cheers
    Matt

2. mattgb

mattgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well - tv has turned up and media cable is 3m long - bah :(

I would still like to know if cable is proprietary - it looks like a 19-pin DVI cable and a 26-pin DFP (MDR) (???) cable in one?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Matt

P.S. cheapest I have seen VMC-P10 cable fro is £150!!! (And yes the 3 metre one is pretty basic - suprise, suprise)

3. paulockenden

paulockenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'd paid too much for a very basic cable when I bought my VMC-P10, but then, when I got crap pictures, I read the instructions and discovered that the cable is directional. And indeed it is. Plug it in the other way round and the picture is great.

So I guess it's more (maybe just slightly more) than a dumb cable.

The way I look at it, why spend two and a half grand on a telly and then spoil the picture by quibbling over a £150 cable.

P.

4. mattgb

mattgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not the £150 I'm quibbling about - its £150 for a 'basic' quality cable.

I wouldn't mind paying that (or more even) for a real quality cable (QED/Ixos/Monster etc) - it's just that most electronics firms bung together the cheapest cable they can gat away with into the box. Although the VMC-P3 that comes with the tv is better than most I've seen (the media cable that came with my old Philips 32PF9964 plasma was appalling, but since it was a simple VGA cable plus a couple of phonos for sound, which I didn't need, I upgraded to a nice shielded & gold-plate terminated one which worked a treat), I'm just not convinced I'm going to get the most out of the TV by buying a Sony branded cable.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I put the supplied cable in the right way around (although I am now going to double-check tonight!) and I'm getting pretty good pictures. Although I have had to re-jig all my components about to get it to work & so now the wife wants me to shell out for a sexy new stand to put it all on - tch. :)

5. paulockenden

paulockenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 10m cable is better quality than the 3m one (it's thicker).

Don't think the 3m cable is directional, just the 10m one.

P.

6. mattgb

mattgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh right - ok - maybe worth looking at then after all.

BTW - obviously the MRX1 doesn`t accept HDMI/DVI input (let alone HCDP combatible) - but does anyone know if it can accept 720p through the component inputs?

Otherwise it seems a bit pointless it being HD at all (well apart from the built in upscaling and PC connectivity I guess, so not entirely pointless).

I've seen a Samsung DVD player knocking about that upscales to 720p - but only via HDMI/DVI.

Cheers
    Matt

7. paulockenden

paulockenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - 720p works fine with the component inputs.

P.

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    That's the norm I'm afraid. I've heard of one Samsung player however that will output 720p and 1080i over Component once the region unlock code has been entered.

9. mattgb

mattgb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers paul.

Lyris - really? You don`t know the model by any chance do you?

Cheers
    Matt

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I can't remember the exact one, but I think it's being mentioned a lot recently in the DVD forum.