1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: PDP-434HDE aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by machu, Dec 14, 2003.

1. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm ready to buy plasma, but the more I read about the subject, more confused I am. I want to be ready for HDTV broadcast so I decided to get an HD compatible model. I also watch a lot of DVDs so I want to get 16:9 aspect ratio. Since I don't feel like spending extra cash on 50" (1366x768) I'm thinking about Pioneer 434HDE. Here is the problem though: Every reseller posts this plasma's specs as 16:9, 1024 by 768. Unless there is something wrong with my math , 1024x768 ratio is exactly 4:3 not 16:9!!! This creates another question. This plasma looks "widescreen", yet with 4:3 ratio should be more like a traditional TV square. Does that mean that pixels are stretched? Am I missing something here??? With current DVD ratios of 2.35:1 will I get huge black bars just as with my regular analog CRT?

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Firstly, welcome to the forums :smashin:

You guessed correctly...in does indeed have oblong pixels.

There have been many discussions about the possible problems that may arise due to this but I think that on the whole if your only feeding the plasma video signals from say a set-top box or DVD then you would not notice any difference...but if you wanted to hook up your PC to playback the hi-def version of T2 then it could make the image look wrong.

But like you say unless you want to spend the extra cash on the Panasonic/Fujitsu/Sony 50" then there's not much you can do about it...unless you go for an SD panel but then everything will be downscaled and you will loose picture detail.

Cheers, Lee

3. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basically I would be getting a traditional 4:3 aspect TV that tries to pretend to be a widescreen? That's just great. To summarize the problem: in a ~42" spectrum I can get a true 16:9 but at resolution that is becoming obsolete.... or I can get a HD resolution at aspect ratio that is becoming obsolete. Some choice...