1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question: Paradigm Dipolar Surrounds versus Traditional Surrounds?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bluuzman, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Bluuzman

Bluuzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some surround speaker selection advice…

I’ve read a few articles about setting up a system with dipolar surrounds versus forward-radiating surrounds, but I’m hoping I could get some further insight from the forum crowd. I’m building a 5.1 system for now and want to make sure I start out right!

Do you need a “perfect room” in order to get the benefit of a dipolar surround speaker, or can one achieve a decent sound field with the more traditional forward firing surrounds? I can save about 50% by going with the traditional speakers…

Are the dipolar really worth the extra cost, or should I use the money saved elsewhere??

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    do a search for 'bi-polar' on here. There are loads of threads on here lately about them and placement. :lesson:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As Dfour says, this subject has been covered loads of times but for a one liner the bipoles comes into their own when there is a shortage of room between the listening position and the rear speakers.

My settee is against the rear wall in a bay and direct radiating speakers would be too close and overpowering.