1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on Warrenty

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by John 1987, Oct 20, 2005.

1. John 1987

John 1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Hi, I am planning on purchasing the Samsung Sp46l6hx from miller brothers. They are offering extended warranty for 3 years for 189 pounds, this is compared to Domestic and Generals quote of 209 pounds. Who out there actually took up extended warranty, if so why, if not why? Is it worth the risk not taking it up?

2. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I would say taking out extra warranty is a great idea on such an expensive set. For example, there is a thread on here posted not that long ago by a guy who's TV was 3 or 4 months after the one year warranty. His retailer AND the manufacturer didn't want to know. I think his was a Toshiba but I can't be sure. Anyway he is more or less stuffed with this one. I'd say, wihtout a shadow of a doubt, he paid dearly for NOT taking out extra warranty. I don't think anyone should ever assume that it is just going to work for ever.

Incidentally, is this 3rd party warranty or is it from the retailer you purchased it from?

3. John 1987

John 1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    The 189 pounds quoted, was from the retailer miller brothers. The same place I'm getting the TV from.

4. shaduf

shaduf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi John,

I would always have said that Extended Warranties were a con because, on average, the seller is bound to win. However an experience I had a few years ago completely changed my mind and I now look at each offer on its merits.

I bought a JVC SVHS machine with a built in Mini DV section. This allowed transferring SVHS to DV and vice versa and facilitated computer editing etc. etc.. I paid about £700 for it by mail order. List was over £1000. I took advantage of an extra free one years warranty from Barclaycard and was then approached by Domestic and General offering to cover it for a further 3 years for about £100. In view of its complexity of the machine I took that out with them.

In the first three years it went away for repair about four times. On one occasion there was a repair invoice left in it for about £700. The next time it went wrong I told D & G I had had enough and wanted them to do something about it. They said they would replace it and offered me the new model at no charge on the basis that the old one was beyond economical repair.

I then received a phone call from Dixons who said they would supply it on behalf of D & G but it was not immediate delivery so would I like a voucher instead. I accepted the voucher which was something in excess of £1,000 (being the list price of the new model) and I was told I could spend the voucher on anything in Dixons, Currys or PC World.

I bought the new model for less than £700 via the internet on my credit card and spent the £1,000 voucher on various items over the next twelve months.

The non working machine was kept for a year and sold on Ebay.

Sorry, if this is long winded, but in conclusion I would say that I came out of that feeling very well treated and I would say all parties were happy. So the bottom line is, think seriously about extended warranties and I certainly recommend D & G.

PS. D & G declined to cover the replacement (fair enough) but it is still going strong so I am happy they didn’t!.

Shaduf

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I bought the Samsung SP46 in August and in September got the 5 year (4+1) warranty from Domestic & General for £249.00 as opposed to the £349.00 Comet had quoted me.

6. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Do Domestic & General cover warranties on a third party basis? If so, they sound really good. I would consider them when I get my Samsung SP46. Thanks again 'The Pauley'.

7. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    I dont know much about warranties, but who are D&G, so I buy a set from Makro, I can then get D&G to insure me right?

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    D&G are an insurance company specialiding in extended warranties.

9. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907

yep you can get in touch with them and they will extend your warrenty for you :thumbsup:

10. bones1958

bones1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Could 'the pauley' confirm which option you went for with D&G ?

There are 3 options I can see. LCD, Plasma and Standard CRT. From the £249 price quoted, I'm guessing you went for Standard CRT cover ?

Is this strictly accurate ? The Samsung Sp46l6hx is technically none of the 3 choices availale on D&G website. Did you phone them to confirm a DLP was covered under the Standard CRT heading ?

This may sway my choice over the SP46 or the Sony KDFE50A12.

Reason ? - John Lewis do a 5 year waranty inclusive in price of £1395 on the KDFE50A12.

I'm torn between the choice of both models. Just can't decide !! :lease: :rolleyes:

Just a pity JL don't appear to sell the Samsung SP46 - or do they ? I haven't asked them - has anyone else asked if JL sell the SP46 ?

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I phoned D&G as I couldn't see a DLP set listed and they just gave me the quotation.

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    ....and so long as the policy quotes the model, make, etc., then I suspect they are bound to honour it if needed.

13. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,427
    Wht not but the set from John Lewis stores ? They give 5 years cover for nothing and deliver for free as well !! :rotfl:

14. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Do thw D&G cover accidental damage, aprts and labour as well?

15. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes.

16. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Thats good news, you think warranty would be more or less for the Sony 50" 3LCD than the Sammy 46?

17. polygon_monkey

polygon_monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am weak and got the 3 year warrenty from Comet because the guy kept bugging me about it. It's split up into 4 direct debits, the first of which won't come off for a month. I'm wondering if I should cancel it and get the D & G one instead in a years time. The guy in Comet said the D & G warrenty is worth less each year where as Comet will give you the exact value you paid for the TV if it breaks three years down the line.

Not sure what to do :confused:

18. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    How does D&G work? If it breaks down, they fix it or give money/vouchers/credit?