Question Question on the different filters in the ARCAM SA30 Amp

paulguk

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased the new Arcam SA30 amp and it has a number of different filters which can be selected.

The manual goes into a bit of depth explaining the filters in a technical way and it sums up the explanations with:

'We have chosen our default filters through a combination of careful measurement and listening tests and we believe they are the best compromise to achieve the best listening experience. However, all of the filters sacrifice performance of one parameter to improve another. Therefore, defendant on your choice of listening material and personal preference, you may wish to choose one of the other options. Note that any audible differences are most likely to be heard with sample rates of 48kHz and below'.

I have been using the default one which is called 'Apodizing' and it seems to sound good.

My question is to anyone who understands these sorts of things more, are there times when one filter over another would be better. For example, one is called Brick Wall (B Wall). Is that a good filter to apply when listening to a compressed pop CD? Others refer to things like pre-ringing and varied phase responses. Is it just a case of choosing the one that sounds best in your room and leaving that for all music played or do different filters sound better with different music.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom