1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on PW6 input config for sky via JS RGB to VGA box

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Justhe1, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just finally had my screen installed and mounted on the wall :thumbsup: and have been finding my way through the menu.

Quick question - I have sky digital going via scart (RGB) into a JS RGB to VGa converter box, and then a VGA to VGA lead straight into the PW6 into the hard wired 15 pin D-sub connection.

The picture quality looks fine, much better than when I plug the sky box scart leads straight into the Panny "free" scart terminal board (A lot more diagonal lines and more jagged edges).

But when I switch the input from setting on the screen from RGB to Component (for the hard wired 15 pin VGA lead input) the picture goes pink (it looks like the green dissapears) - is this normal?

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I don't know if I am meant to be coming out of the JS box in componenet or RGB.

Its the same with my laptop - when I plug my laptop into the VGA port and try to select component input I get the same, but I thought (incorrectly possibly) that the PC/laptop output would be componenet :confused:

I havn't got the DVD player connected up yet so I can't check out the progressive scan pic from RCA to the component BNC board to see what that's like..

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

J

2. SMCC

SMCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    J I have a similar setup to you. What you describe is normal. The VGA input will take either RGB or component signals via three of the pins in the D-sub plug. Your JS box is outputting RGB. The major difference between RGB and component is that the colours are different but mathematically related to each other.

I have a JS RGB to component box and a 3RCA component to D-sub lead that plugs into the PW6 VGA input - if I switch the input to RGB I get a green cast to the picture - the inverse of your situation.

your laptop will be generating a RGB signal not component.

You're absolutely right that the scart input just doesn't measure up - mine is a noisier image with a slight brown cast and less vivid colours than the VGA/component input.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the prog scan component from DVD in to BNC board when you've connected it up - How does it compare to the VGA/RGB? I'm thinking of getting a BNC board myself.

3. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All normal here.

You have the RGB2VGA box which is expecting an RGB signal. This adds the red, green and blue channels to create the colours on screen. Component signals carry the difference in colour information in the form of one luminance channel and 2 colour channels, so if you select component when the recieving equipment is expecting RGB you will see an incorrectly coloured picture.

Just set anything going into the JS box to RGB.

Edit: Didn't intend to duplicate replies. Guess I should've refreshed the browser as the PC's been sat for a while on the main page!! :D

4. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks SMCC/Zygote, just what I wanted to hear - thought I was going mad!

Was just wondering - originally I was going to go down the JS RGB to component route c/w 3 RCA to either VGA or BNC connectors (as SMCC), but for various reasons (6 m lead availability/cost, and cable route void gap etc) my installer (friend) suggested my now chosen route (JS RGB to VGA, VGA to VGA lead).

In theory, assuming my sky digi-box and scart(RGB) lead, and lead that connects the JS box to the plasma (Van Damme in my case) are of comparable quality to yours SMCC, should the picture quality at the screen be identical?

ie should the way you have connected your setup and the way I have produce the same result, is there a "preferred" way, or would any difference be negligable?)

Its just that I get a bit confused with what the best supposed signal conversion methods are!

I hope to have the DVD player connected up today at some stage - I have yet to wall mount the Vogel AV supports, sort out the sky distribution and the 2nd room out to dining room Amp settings, so it may take a while (got some great brushed s/steel wall plates made up with all my inputs/outputs made off into) but I will post my thoughts on the Prog scan picture as soon as I can.

Note: (I went for the BNC connection board as it was a bit cheaper and better connections for what i wanted location wise (less prone to working loose and falling behind the wall cavity!)

Also when I connect sky straight into the Panny scart terminal board just to test all is working, I am not given the option to select RGB/component on the Panny menu, is this because the scart board does not receive component signals in?

Finally, does anyone know if there is a way to change the "input" label on the PW6 to a user defined label - ie when I feed sky in at present (via scart board)I have it set to RGB (digital) on the screen menu, when I set it up via the JS box into the 15 pin d-sub connector, I selected "PC", this ok but I can't seem to find a way to change it manually so that I can have say "Sky+" or similar, is this possible?

I can do it on my amp (Sony) and it would be nice to have like labels on the amp and screen (and would also make things easier for the g/friend to work out!!)

Sorry for all the questions, just getting a tad excited about it all now!!

Thanks

J

5. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (oops, replied in wrong place, moved)

Thanks SMCC/Zygote, just what I wanted to hear - thought I was going mad!

Was just wondering - originally I was going to go down the JS RGB to component route c/w 3 RCA to either VGA or BNC connectors (as SMCC), but for various reasons (6 m lead availability/cost, and cable route void gap etc) my installer (friend) suggested my now chosen route (JS RGB to VGA, VGA to VGA lead).

In theory, assuming my sky digi-box and scart(RGB) lead, and lead that connects the JS box to the plasma (Van Damme in my case) are of comparable quality to yours SMCC, should the picture quality at the screen be identical?

ie should the way you have connected your setup and the way I have produce the same result, is there a "preferred" way, or would any difference be negligable?)

Its just that I get a bit confused with what the best supposed signal conversion methods are!

I hope to have the DVD player connected up today at some stage - I have yet to wall mount the Vogel AV supports, sort out the sky distribution and the 2nd room out to dining room Amp settings, so it may take a while (got some great brushed s/steel wall plates made up with all my inputs/outputs made off into) but I will post my thoughts on the Prog scan picture as soon as I can.

Note: (I went for the BNC connection board as it was a bit cheaper and better connections for what i wanted location wise (less prone to working loose and falling behind the wall cavity!)

Also when I connect sky straight into the Panny scart terminal board just to test all is working, I am not given the option to select RGB/component on the Panny menu, is this because the scart board does not receive component signals in?

Finally, does anyone know if there is a way to change the "input" label on the PW6 to a user defined label - ie when I feed sky in at present (via scart board)I have it set to RGB (digital) on the screen menu, when I set it up via the JS box into the 15 pin d-sub connector, I selected "PC", this ok but I can't seem to find a way to change it manually so that I can have say "Sky+" or similar, is this possible?

I can do it on my amp (Sony) and it would be nice to have like labels on the amp and screen (and would also make things easier for the g/friend to work out!!)

Sorry for all the questions, just getting a tad excited about it all now!!

Thanks

J

Justhe1

6. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to get the DVD sorted out (brackets now on wall) and had a quick look at a DVD via Progressive scan, which looked pretty good (nearly as good as my Panasonic 32"100Hz CRT, but not quite).

One thing, don't know whether it was just me, but the picture seemed to gain colour as we watched the film (Shrek) - The AGC is turned off so it wasn't that, and at present all settings are at 0 on the screen - as it was our 1st hour of running the screen, is it possible that the screen is "settling, or bedding in" - or am I just going mad?!

Also, again may just be me, but I thought the voice syncing was very marginally out - will have to try with a non animated film and check again.

Finally, watched a bit of Gladiators on sky, and during the opening fight sceens the picture seemed a bit "jerky", as if all the quick movements off lots of people fighting were not being processed enough, didn't seem as fluid as I remember - could this be possible, are am I suffering from over studying the picture!!??

J

7. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Errrrrr!

Beginning to worry a bit here having found this thread.

Having read first post a few times, are we saying that you can select input to VGA socket as Component or RGB? And is this in isolation from the BNC Component inputs? Or does the RGB/Component selection on the plasma affect both inputs together?? :eek:

I need to feed Progressive Component into my Panny PWD5 via BNC, and feed a Sky box via an RGB to SVGA JS Converter into the VGA connecter on the Panny plasma. This can be done, yes??

I understood that the RGB or Component input select on the Panny PWD5 was only relevant to the BNC inputs. I thought that the Hard wired VGA socket expected RGBHV at all times and could not take component? Or is this a new feature on the PW6? :confused:

Could somebody just confirm this before I order an RGB to SVGA converter that I may not be able to use. :blush:

Many thanks, Gerald.

8. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I think people are getting a little mixed-up here.

The Panny 6 can be set to take EITHER RGB or component through the VGA port. If you're using the JS RGB-2-VGA, then the VGA on the plasma needs setting to RGB.

The scart input cannot accept a component input (it takes CVBS and RGB). Hence the option to switch to component is not available on the scart input.

The component input board takes either interlaced or progressive component signals.

9. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank god for that, I was right then.

I was worried there for a minute.

On my PWD5 the VGA input takes only RGB (or at least I have never seen a menu allowing selection of component). And the BNC inputs will take EITHER RGB or Component.

Well, lets hope the Sky picture through the RGB to SVGA converter is as good as people say it is.

Cheers, Gerald. :thumbsup:

10. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So can you buy a lead that takes the component output of a DVD in to the VGA port on the plasma? Would save some money on a component board.

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    about £6 on ebay, search for VGA/BNC and you will find a VGA to 5 BNC (RGBHV) cable. For component you just connect the RGB wires
    R = Rp
    G= Y
    B = Bp

If you don't have BNC connectors on your component output, either get BNC to phono adaptors, or cut the BNCs off and solder Phonos on.