Question on new Pio 434

Costas

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Following from my earlier comments on the other thread, I have also noticed the following having run the 434 for over a week:

On at least 3 occasions I noticed that the picture signal will disappear for 2-3 seconds and then return. It happened during normal viewing of digital terrestrial TV or analog TV. I do not think I have seen this yet through DVD or digital satellite. When it happens the sound remains, only the video signal disappears. It looks like the media box is re-processing the signal (signal drop?) for a second. Furthermore, and in addition to the slow response me and others have mentioned when you change inputs, occasionally the new input signal will appear, go off and re-appear before it settles on my screen.

Have any other 434 owners notice this?

Yep, I have seen it too. I wonder if the media box is reacting to minute sync drops or something similar. This is off a Sky Digibox feed & RBG in so thats not sooo likely.

jspink

Thanks for the reply. I guess that must be the case with the new R04 media box and its all digital processing. The funny thing is that I mentioned it to Pioneer support and they said it will take a few days before they get an answer from HQ!

I've noticed this too, its especially bad when I am trying to use the onscreen setup on my AX5i. Its odd because some days it will just vanish and reapear once, on other days it will do it severall times while navigating the menus - odd :confused: and very fustrating. Originally I noticed that it was changing the widescreen switching on each cycle, subsequently I switched of WSS, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Interesting to see what Pioneer have to say.

i can see the media boxes goin on a product recall.

in another thread some guy was loosing pic while watching DVD.

this just should not be happening and cant be within spec.
my 503 would play up when cuing vcr, but nowhere as bad as u guys are saying.
no, needs sorting me thinks

Hi,

I have the same problem when it looses the signal and get a blank screen, only had the tv since friday and its done it about 4 times now.

Cheers,

Graham

hi

yeh I get on dvd also - I blv its the box reformatting the picture from wide to full etc - so am looking for an option where auto formatting is switched off...........

after years of my sony crt doing this I thought the plasma would solve my frustrations on this issue.... I am waiting for a component cable to arrive that I hope will solve this when I send the dvd pic through on progressive.

I'll try calling Pioneer during the week if I get time - as this is very annoying after spending 4k.

Mark

Dear all,

I believe that Pioneer will do nothing about the slow switching between inputs and the signal disappearing for 2-3 seconds durings analog or digital terrestrial and digital satellite.
I have talked to two retailers and even they have noticed last week the same on their demo units losing picture temporarily on analog and digital terrestrial. It was most likely a brief break in the transmission or localised interference. A few local transmitters were worked on last week on various local TV regional masts. I have been watching carefully my 434 and have not seen thishapenning again since in the last two days. Overall, it sounds like the R04 box takes a few seconds to re-lock on to the picture (As when switching over too)

HOWEVER, if the loss of picture happens during watching DVD or satellite (not in my case) I would worry there is a fault.

In addition to what I said at the start of this thread, be aware that since last Monday I raised 4 related questions in the Pioneer website. Their last two responses still point out to "expecting information from HQ" and even "we may arrange for a visit" !!
In responseI, told them that the slow switching that I first asked for is absolutely common to everyone who has bought the 434. I am convinced that the UK techincal support has absolutely no information and knowledge on how the new 434 operates / behaves. Anyway, let's keep with the questions to them and see what happens. Personally, I believe the slow switching is something that is inherent in the all digital processing of the box.
Do you remember the first digital satellite receivers how they were (and still are relatively) when you were changing channels?
I think we are facing the same thing here. Perhaps some software upgrade could be the only way to improve this disappointing factor against this excellent screen!

On a separate note, I mentioned in my other comments thread, has anyone succeeded in setting up the EPG? One other question that Pioneer has not yet answered to me.

I have the switching issue but had never (!) had dropouts while watching analog cable (thats all I have for the time being). It is extremely annoying (but the PQ is unbelievable).

Costas

could you pls give us the URL of the Pioneer site ?

It is www.pioneer.co.uk You can then click on "support". You will need to register to ask questions. It also links to the their European website where you can download manuals, brochures...etc...

I talked to Pioneer Germany to complain about the slow switching. They confirm:
- there is a problem,
- a software update will be there within the next days
- the software update could probably even be facilitated by the media-card interface (would be great !)
- I should get my name on a list for the distribution

Hope this will function because the switching is unbearable...

DON'T BUY PIONEER PLASMAS BEFORE THIS GETS SORTED OUT !

OK, I will pass it on to their UK guys!!
Do you know how to get registered precisely?

Hmm well my 434 should be coming early December, so I hope they sort it out by then, doubt it though.. these things always take time.

First they said they would approach the customers through authorized dealers (???). Then he said OK, call the following number to give him your address. But the guy is not in the office today (as the other guy already mentioned). I will call there tomorrow and report back... (Hope he knows he is expected to maintain a customer list :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Arsenal: I would try to cancel any orders until they get this sorted out !

Nah, it'll be fine.. can't see it being that big an issue, there would be a major uproar at pioneer by now (and they'd have to start recalling), as there are far far more people that have 434's now than the 4 or 5 i've seen on this forum.. I'll deal with it until they sort it.

I am not sure if there is an uproar yet. You might contribute to it if you cancelled your order.

Re. "not a big issue": I hope you only watch one program and never switch. Also the teletext which I frequently used to use is practically unusable as it takes even longer to get there and then you have to toggle through two screens to come back to the full TV picture. It really is a mess !

Just imagine (look at your watch) zapping through TV programs and having to wait three seconds (screen going black) for every move !!!

It is actually a serious disadvantage although not a show stopper. I fully agree that text is extremely slow. I already mentioned that in my thread with "my comments" on my first review. I think Pioneer will respond and there an issue because only today 14 UK new owners have raised it as a query. Let's keep at it until we get the resolution we deserve for the money that we spent!

Sorry I still can't find that forum (Is it the FAQ section in the Knowledge Center ?) In the knowledge center I do not see the mentioned 14 questions. I also don't see my posting :confused:

Well, i've never used teletext.. i use the internet if i need anything like that.
Does this problem still occur if i only use Sky+ for channel changing? From the descriptions above i was under the impression that it was when changing sources or channels on the plasma? surely the screen has little to do with changing channels with sky?

It's only if you change the channels on the screen, with SKY or any other dekoder that keeps the same channel on the tv you ofcourse do not have the problem.
It's slower when you switch beteen the av sources that aerial channels

Something i noticed:
If you do watch analog aerial tv it also takes a long time to swithc, but if you do picture in picture the switches are much faster for the aerial...

I also have the problem with looisn picture for a few seconds, both when watcing digital cable, and also while playign xbox games - which to me should not cause any problems lika this. HAs not yet happend for DVD.

Originally posted by joys_R_us
Sorry I still can't find that forum (Is it the FAQ section in the Knowledge Center ?) In the knowledge center I do not see the mentioned 14 questions. I also don't see my posting :confused:

I was told that by the UK Pioneer guy I have spoken to this morning. However, if you have registered on the website, you can always see and review the status of the questions you have personally raised.

Have spent the weekend installing the 434 (and VSX-C501 AV amp). And yes have the same problems: 3-5 seconds switching between TV channels, and the occasional (once an hourish) blanking screen and picture resizing issue but only on TV not noticed on DVD.

Called Pioneer support and they have taken note of my problems and are going to get the plasma expert to phone me back. The person I spoke to said that he had not had these problems reported to him before.

If you have these problems, and want to be sure Pioneer is aware, you may want to call them (you need the serial number of the media box). Contact details are on the website, www.pioneer.co.uk, under support / contact us.

These problems aside am very pleased with my purchase.

Hey MTJ

It is excellent to have somebody with 434/501 combination here. I have a question which wasn't answered by Pioneer:

When you connect the 434 and 501 via SR+ cable and you have your TV powered off: Are you still able to use the remote of the receiver to hear radio or a CD ? The manual says ( to my understanding) that in such a situation the remote won't work. Please give me a feedback :)

Alright cheers guys, sounds like the "occasional (once an hourish) blanking screen and picture resizing issue" is going to be the only issue i'll really have then, still i will report it asap if it is still a 'feature' of my screen when i get it.. can't have my screen blanking out on me during an Arsenal match or at a vital point in a race on SSX 3 on the ps2 ;)

Yes, the slowness of the switching between inputs, and the time it takes teletext to come up is annoying, but it's hardly a dealbreaker. If there is some software to fix it, all well and good, but I don't think anyone should be encouraged to cancel their order because of this.

And to confirm - no, it doesn't affect switching channels with the Sky remote.

Just to confirm too: my picture disappears when playing a VHS during fast forward and reverse 'in vision', and also when trying to play around with settings on my 2011. I've had no problems with the picture disappearing while watching TV, Sky or DVDs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom