Question on Graphics and HDTV

nmp

Standard Member
So I'm looking into putting together a PC which will be used to play HD content over HDMI to my Samsung Plasma.

I need to know, what shoud I be looking for in terms of technical specs to achieve this, bearing in mind my requirements include a near silent PC.

I want to play content ripped to disk from my HTPC, and need to know what combination of components would you reccomend?

If I want smooth playback, should I focus on a high end CPU, or a BIG graphics card to offload to?

Whats a good combination of CPU / Graphics that I could use which employ passive cooling and would give me smooth playback.

thanks.

badbob

Banned
If I want smooth playback, should I focus on a high end CPU, or a BIG graphics card to offload to?
CPU. I run 1080p on a 4200x2 fine with onboard and ati x700 (not from BR drive though)

jaymz

Novice Member
I run 1080p (HD-dvd and BluRay) from HDD with an AMD X2 4600+ and on board 6150 Nvidia graphics.

Dankeech

Must it be HDMI?

I'm running a GeForce 8400GS Full HD graphics card from my PC and it only cost me £30. I use component-out (dongle sent by manufactirer free on request).

I'm typing this using my Samsung 32" as the monitor right now.

Dan.

jaymz

Novice Member
Must it be HDMI?

I'm running a GeForce 8400GS Full HD graphics card from my PC and it only cost me £30. I use component-out (dongle sent by manufactirer free on request).

I'm typing this using my Samsung 32" as the monitor right now.

Dan.
No, VGA works and i think DVI-A to Component is also ok.

Dankeech

No, VGA works and i think DVI-A to Component is also ok.
Lol, sorry if it wasn't clear, it was supposed to be a rhetoric question for the Op;)

Cheers anyway:smashin:

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom