1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on directional speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Dr.Rock, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have some Jamo directional speaker cable and I'm wondering which way round to connect it up, if there's a rule for which core to use as negative, etc.

One of the cores has a continuous black stripe running along the coating. Normally I would use that to cinnect the negative terminals. On the same core (which has the stripe), there is the occasional "->->->" printed on it, which would be the direction indication. I'm not sure if the "-" is part of the direction arrow, or if it's to indicate it's the negative core.

Is that "->->->" direction from the amp to speaker, or from speaker to amp? I would've thought it was for amp to speaker, but if the striped core is (I'm guessing) negative, then surely it means I connect the cable other way round. Because electricity travels from the amp to the speaker down the positive interconnection, then back from the speaker to the amp down the negative interconnection, it makes sense to wonder if the cable is to be connected that way with the direction indicating from speaker to amp, if it's referring tot he negative core.

Can someone please verify this, so I know for sure which way round the cable should be connected? Maybe I'm eading into all this the wrong way.

Thanks.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The signals sent from your amplifier to your speaker are effectively AC so the idea of "directional" speaker cables, interconnects or mains cable in that sense both crazy and wrong.

The only time you would have a directional cable is if the shield of your cable is connected to the ground. This should only be done at the source end of the cable for various reasons. In most cases, however, coconnecting a shield to a "ground" connection within the cable is a bad move as it can cause problems with the impedence of the cable.

Basically, it doesn't matter which way round you use the cable but if it makes you happy have the arrows pointing in the way you "think" the signal is travelling (in this case, towards the speakers). :)

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just ensure you connect both speakers in the same way and you will be fine. Directional cable is audiophile voodoo IMHO.