1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on barco 808s HDTV

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rigman, Sep 7, 2005.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi I own a Barco 808s which is currently fed from a rock pro processor.

A while ago I was toying with the idea of buying a Dtheatre video player to watch some hidef moveies. However my homework revealed that because the player ouputted tri level sync out of the component connections I would have also needed a transducer (I think) or a HDTV board at a cost of around £250 on top of the price of the Dtheatre unit. I gave up on the idea due to the extra cost.

Now that we are coming up to the launch of the Xbox 360 and sky Hidef which have been quoted as being able to output hidef over component will I need to still buy the upgrade to be able to watch hidef.

I suppose the question I am asking is..

Is a hidef signal from component always outputted using tri level sync.

My rock outputs RGBHV and is currently set to 1440x960p

thanks
    Darren

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As long as the output from your scaler to the PJ is RGBHV then you wont have a problem. Its only if you try to feed the PJ direct with a component hi def signal that you will have a problem :smashin:

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Well I would not be using the rock with any hidef source as I would need to feed the projector direct. The rock has a HDTV bypass and the xbox 360 has a VGA connector so that may not be a problem but if sky HD has component then it will need to feed the projector direct.

So you are saying that tri level sync is a feature of all HD signals fed from component regardless.

4. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Rigman, (and Mark, long time no hear) the Item you refer to is a 'Transcoder' which deals with the tri-level sync output by DVHS machines.

Some scalers such as crystalio have a transcoder built in as standard but I am not familiar enough with your unit to know if it has one.

Without it, your barco will miss-clamp the signal and the picture will come out so dark its virtually unwatchable, strangely enough the little Barco 7 series had one designed into their circuit to start with.

There is an internal board, actually a sub board called the HDTV board available for all barco's or you can pick up a key digital transcoder, available in an earlier and a later version, later being a little better.

Hope this helps ..

James

5. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Hi Folks, been a bit quiet round these parts recently.
    This is a question that has been puzzling me for a little while. People get latched onto the idea that just becuase some new HD sources will have component outputs, they can simply plug them into their existing equipment. Maybe they can, but we had better know for sure. If it's the existing HDTV component interface, then maybe they won't. I've simply not been able to find out what standard the new kit works to - that information doesn't seem to be available. I suspect we won't know until near the time. If you end up needing a transcoder, then you may as well get a naughty box and just use HDMI outputs.

Nick

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Good point welwynnick

I was going to post that it will become expensive this HIdef business to get a transcoder (or HDTV internal board) and a naughty box for the like of blue ray but you are right.

All that is needed is the naughty box which will do the same thing (I hope)

Thanks also to James for his post which makes it clearer as to why it is needed.

7. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you are most welcome rigman.

James

8. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The dvi naughty box with RGBhv out works fine on my 808s,ive got a quali which is non hdcp and a panny s97 which is hdcp.I use a dvi 4:1 switch box The hi def picture is awesome.(hi James,im thinking of my next crt upgrade.Ill be in touch) Stuart

9. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi mediamogal,

thanks for that. Which naughty box did you go for. I am sure I saw some links in a thread on here a while back for a variety of them but I cannot find it when searching. Obviously using the wrong words :(

cheers
    darren

10. mediamogul

mediamogul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Darren, ive pm'd you