Question on aerials

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by [email protected], Dec 18, 2006.

1. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my th50px60, and my dmr ex85 have freeview tuners built in and i have an NTL PACE BOX, is it possible for me to record a programme whilst watching something else, say i decide to record something from ex85 tuner,can i watch something on the plasma tuner or even the ntl box.just so i dont have to watch whatever im recording.if not,is it possible with my set up.if not, what extra bit of equipment could i use.
    i have another dvd recorder, its a dmr es15, i was hoping to sell this considering its brand new, but if i added this to the setup would i be able to achieve what i want.

2. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no other response

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150

1 - You can record freeview from the internal tuner of the EX85 and watch any other channel from the NTL box OR from your TV Tuner, simultaneously.

2 - If you record from the NTL Box - you cannot access the EX85 tuner... but you can watch anything receivable by your TV tuner simultaneously.

4. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks gavtech, you really cleared something up for me there.one more question though.I was aware i wouldnt need a digital aerial for my ntl box, because its feed through the cables, but like you said if i recorded something of my ntl box,then the only way i could watch something else at the same time was through my tv tuner,now what im askin is.do i need a digital aerial on the roof, to recive the freeview channels from my th50px60, if so who do you recommend and does it have to be done professionally or could i do it.

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    Yes - You would require an aerial to be able to receive freeview digital [ and or analogue] programmes.

Aerial rigging is dangerous and requires significant know-how to get right...so I certainly could not recommend you do it yourself.

I also have to disagree with a view I saw elsewhere that rigging an aerial in a loft is 'better'.
    It most certainly is not... as anyone with signal knowledge will confirm. They are put outside with very good reason which is why it is the norm.

The difference in signal quality and strength with an external aerial is enormous... and can make the difference between rock solid reliable pictures or endless niggles and break-ups.

The aerial installation should be regarded as a whole - It is not just an aerial. The feeder [ Downlead ] is just as important.

6. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks again gavtech.are they dear the actual aerials or is it the installation that costs

7. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just been looking at few outside aerials on ebay,i havent clue which one i would need.which one should i got for.Should i go for digital.When getting an aerial what should i make sure it has (specs wise). Can you recommend me any.
    thanks

8. jim4571@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I've moved these posts as they were in danger of threadknapping ;)

10. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,150
    Hi Jim

I am afraid I would not recommend any of them. That is not the way to go about getting an aerial installation.
    It is possible to over-specify an aerial as well as underspecify.

The important thing about any installation is that is needs to match your needs and that will depend on your locality, signal strengths, whether all multiplexes can be received at all , or from one transmitter.
    You would need to know what group of aerial is required .. the polarisation etc.

In other words it does require some expertise and knowledge of local conditions, so I urge you to consider using a professional installer.

Are you in a new property? It is most unusual these days for aerials not to be already existing on a property . Have you checked?

You may find some useful general information on this site:

http://www.antiference.co.uk/