1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on 125M Monoblocs into 4ohms

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by tjobbins, Aug 11, 2005.

1. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I am considering getting 2*125M monoblocs to drive my Dynaudio Contour 1.3MkIIs. These are hungry 4ohm speakers..

The Tag website says, rather ambigiously:
    125 W per (single channel) into rated load impedance (8 Ω),
    200 W into 4 Ω and 275 W into 2 Ω for short periods

'short periods' - is that saying that it's short periods only for 2 ohms, or for both 4ohms and 2ohms?

Or to be more precise - does anyone know if these monoblocs will drive my Contour MkIIs sufficiently (and safely) to get the best out of them?

Thanks

Tom

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 Ohms for short periods.

There are better people here to explain it, but as you drive your speakers louder, the impedence will drop slightly.

It is nothing to worry about unless you are going to be driving your amps at very high volumes for long periods (4-5 hours+).

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Or considerably shorter.

4. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A TMA we had certain well known speakers whose impedence drops to less 3 Ohms running all day, very loud from a DPA and two 125Ms.

5. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not think there will be any problems with two 125 monoblocks.
    OK, it is not the very best amp around, so it might not "squeeze all the juice" out of the Contours but I would not worry about the load too much.

6. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Just to qualify, i use 3 250mrs's and 4 125m's and like them all immensely. I just don't think that the 125's are ideally matched to lower impedance speakers that will be driven hard. It is not necessarily an indictment, i feel the same of some Meridian amps, on the right speaker very good, on the wrong speaker no so good (load wise).

Steven

7. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Rover,

would these happen to be a brithish make that sounds like a german motor car??

8. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aluminium....

9. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments guys..

I am expecting to be able to get the two 125M monoblocs for around £850-£900 used

Would anyone be able to suggest an alternative solution that would 'squeeze more juice' out of my Contours, for a similar price?

EDIT: In addition, I am also looking for an amp for my centre speaker (Dynaudio Contour Centre, 6ohm) - I had been a little concerned that, although I've tracked down two 125M monoblocs, I might not be able to find a third and might end up not being able to have a matched amp. Not the end of the world, but as I've come from a mismatched system I was hoping to get it all nicely matched this time round. So if anyone could suggest a good single-channel amp to partner whatever they suggest for the fronts, that'd be superb..

Thanks!

Tom

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Why not ask Sevenoaks (Brighton) if they have any 250x3R units left, might be cost effective and they are certainly very good amps.... Use the unit to run all three front speakers. They were selling them for very little over the original trade cost....

11. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I've done some quick web searches which are showing a RRP of £4k, and some outdated dealer pages indicating it was being sold for around £3.3k..

What sort of price were you expecting Sevenoaks Brighton to have them for? I could probably spend £2k, although even that was considerably more than I had in mind (I was assuming 3 125Ms would be ~ £1300 used)..

12. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sevenoaks Brighton don't have any listed on the web !

Bushy

13. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And just thought of another dilemma.. £2k is what I could (theoretically) get a used DP for...

So let's assume for the moment I could either get the 250x3R or the DP for £2k each, and that was all the money I had to spend.

Should I either:

1) Buy the 7.1 DP and use my existing Denon AVC-A11SR as 7 channel power-amp
    2) Buy the 250x3R to amp my front three channels, using the Denon as pre-amp and as power amp for the remaining 4 channels

Damnit, why don't I have unlimited money?

14. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Calliopes...... :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: ?

Luis

15. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This one.... definitely....

Good amps all sound the same, good AV32R DPs don't sound like anything else...

I only have an SP (sigh)...

Luis

16. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Got one of the very last.... 250x3R + 100x5R @3000£ + Calliopes + bass @ 2000£ + Calliope Centre @399£.... I had a SP 7.1, so I decided not to go to the DPs they had.... :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Luis

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I did say "ask" them, the web is not the place for up to date info from Sevenoaks..... I know that a few were sold for £2995 and some a bit below that..... The TAG amp is a fair bit better than the job inside a Denon receiver...... All quality amps sound the same maybe but I would put the Denon in that sector its good at what it does though....

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The DP is worth it and at £2k its a steal......

19. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Although I can't be certain without trying it out I think that your £2K would be best (better?) spent on that 7.1DP and use the Denon as an amplifier only, since the DP is the single biggest improvement in audio I've ever seen since swapping a cheaper turntable for a LP12/Ekos.

The excellent DACs, improved PSU, grounding, output dithering, excellent DD-DTS-HDCD decoding are all nice but TMREQ is the one that really does it for me. Its fantastic, effective and delivers more than any other upgrade I did in years.

Although the Denon might not be the best amplifier to power Dynaudio Contours it will drive them fine up to a point, I know the 250x3R will drive the Contours rather well, my 1.3SEs sound excellent on 250s. One day I'll get around to buying a decent centre speaker, I promise.

20. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I am definitely set on getting a DP as soon as poss. However I think that could be some time - just finding one will be a challenge I should imagine. I'm going to keep looking in the classifieds/ebay in the hope that one pops up at £2k or less, and will then snap it up. I've seen several SPs in just a few days, so I'm hopeful at least one DP might show up - you never know when some poor audiophile will have to put his family before his equipment! :devil:

Anyway, in the meantime I have bought the two 125Ms. I got them for £780 on ebay - 7 months old but hardly used and 'as new' condition, still in original packaging etc. I'm pleased with this - some brand new ones sold for £850 on this site just a couple of weeks ago, so as long as mine are truly 'as new', this is a good price.

Although they aren't going to be as good as the 250x3, they should still be a nice step up from my Denon, and also fairly futureproof - I can likely sell them in the near future for close to what I paid, and of course I can move them to rear-channel duties.

21. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    tjobbins,
    it is not likely you will see them for less than 2k, especially not if you're after 7.1 or DAB model. Maybe in a year or so.
    A bit of statistics:
    All DPs in last 12 months (at least those 10-15 units I saw) sold on ebay.de and ebay.UK went for over £2k, some even for £2.5k.
    The only excemption are few upgraded units that went for much less (one in Germany even for 1.6k - bought from another Forum member) and one full 7.1+DAB unit sold from France to Denmark for just under £2k, but that one vas sort of "dangerous buy".

There were few more very suspected units (one issue covered very well in this Forum) on ebay.UK , but I think those were never sold for real.

So, have fun, hope you'll find soon what you're after!

22. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the stats! :)

I have been an idiot and didn't even think to widen my search outside the UK.. have done so now and a DP has popped up immediately. Doubt I can afford it right now, but I will watch it with interest. TBH I keep saying "under £2k", but if one gets up to £2.5k I may still get it. My purchasing ambitions have a history of starting low and ending up stratospheric.

23. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the subject of buying abroad - I think I've read elsewhere that a conversion to UK power is cheap for a AV32R?

Is it a case of sending it to IAG, or can it be done (quicker) by a third party?

24. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    If you buy it in Europe there is no conversion needed, just power cord with UK plug.
    I definitely would not recomend you buying any electronics from outside EC. Actually apart from UK and Germany (ev. Holland) you won't find a lot of them.

25. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Miron.

Well, my Tag blitz is gathering pace.. I just bought a 100P power amp too.

So I want to get one more 125M, then I will have 125Ms on my front three channels, the 100P on the surrounds, and my integrated Denon for the surround backs.

Now I just need to save up a bit for a DP and I'm all set... (until I can afford to upgrade again to 250Ms, that is :) )

26. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi tjobbins,

You really are on a spending spree !

I've got a 60P if that would help, in the meantime if you happen upon a 100x5 or a T32R please let me know.

Cheers

Bushy

27. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a 100x5 listed on ebay now, from Germany:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAG-McLaren-F...798452252QQcategoryZ14973QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just listed, it starts at £1377 with 8 days to go. This is the same company that is listing a DP, same starting price. I don't think I can get this one, but you never know..

Don't think I have a use for the 60P unfortunately.. on the surface it would seem good for my surround-backs (and, once I get a DP, I will need an amp for those so I can sell my Denon), however they are Dynaudio Audiences at 4ohms, so I think 60W is too low. Thanks anyway!

If you see a single 125M monobloc, or any DPs at all, do let me know :)

Tom

28. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Tom,

I've already go them in my watch list :D !!!!

Will let you know if I spot some 125's !

Cheers

Bushy

29. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Bushy.

For the sake of asking how much would you want for the 60p?

Steven

30. bushy30

bushy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Steve,

Blimey hadn't thought really !

Um £250 plus delivery?

Is that too high/low? haven't seen what prices they are going for !

Bushy