1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question of synergy or of sound style

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by diego120368, Jan 31, 2005.

1. diego120368

diego120368

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello to all....

recently, I have changed the stereo to the multichannel systen sound . Before, I had some SF guarneri with a subwoofer SF gravis. When I bought the AVR192R, I also buy B&W nautilus 802, Htm1 nautilus, 805 nautilus and a subwoofer ASW850.. After, I listen for long time, my new system, every time I liked less and when I listened the system in stereo, it hated it. (how is it possible? with better speakers and better processor.???.. the speakers were "running in"). I returned to the dealer and he tells me that "my pleasure " in sound is that of Sonus Faber that there is not any problem between TMA and B&W. From my point of view with SF, the system sounds excellent, clear and soft in stereo, wide sound image, while with B&W, I put on of bad genius...
    :confused:
    question of synergy or of sound pleasure? :confused:

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Diego

I think TAG and your SF speakers sound great together. The B&W sound great too but more clinical (accurate?) than the SF.

Like your dealer said you obviously prefer the TAG/SF combination (me too) but that doesn't mean to say that the TAG gear doesn't work well with the B&W.

3. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with Kenny - just take a look at my set up.
    I must admit though that I am getting two Bryston 7B SST monoblocks for the front 802's.

IMHO, even with the 250X3R amp the fronts don't really perform.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It is a question of synergy as you say....my system,whilst not in quite the same league as yours,also uses Nautilus speakers,but partnered with Krell amps,and as I'd posted here before,that gave far better results than using the Tag 100x5 amp I'd tried the things with in the dealer's showroom....no disrespect to the Tag,but it simply ran out of headroom far too soon,and gave a much less clear and enjoyable sound,with the load presented by the B&Ws.

There may be as your dealer says,"no problem" matching B&W and Tag,but it also has to suit your ears,and if it doesn't as you found,then it comes back to changing things until the sound suits you.

5. jolaca

jolaca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'tag' perfect match for the 802 is the 250x3R or 250 monoblocks, not the 100x5r.
    I have also found that these speakers need a big room to 'breath' correctly.

Regards.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Certainly fits well with my own experiences,and those of others who've used the 100x5 and 250 amps with B&Ws.
    The point about big speakers needing a big room is also very true,and in smaller rooms can end with the speakers sounding somewhat restricted,especially if near to boundaries.

7. rolski

rolski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Diego,
    I have B&W 803's, and a TMREQ'd TAG system, in a 6m*4m room, and I absolutely love the sound.
    I tried a SF Cremona 7.1 set-up as an alternative and hated it - the "warm" sound in my opinion is colouration, which is not what I'm looking for.

As everyone seems to agree - it comes down to personal taste - and the apparently "clinical" pairing of TAG & B&W doesn't appeal to all.