1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question of size

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jeggsy, Sep 15, 2005.

1. jeggsy

jeggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a nooby here so be gentle please :D :D :D :D

Looking at getting myself a new LCD flatscreen at some point but not sure what size to go for.

I currently have a 25" Sony TV (4:3) that is mainly running freeview and the odd video and DVD's. I am seated approx 2.0 - 2.5m away from the screen.

What I was looking at was a 37" widescreen LCD but I was worried that it might be to big and cuz I was sat so close to it, would see blocking and artifacts etc due to freeview broadcast.

This is my question... Is a 37" to big or is a 32" big enough at my viewing distance.

Cheers all

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    you'll umm and aah, no matter what we say. I know I did.

Two simple things to try:

- go to a shop and squat about the same distance away as you'll be watching, and compare 32" and 37/40"

- make templates. Cut out paper/card to the size of a 32, 37, 40" 16:9, and put them up on your wall.

Generally bigger is better, and I'm tempted by the 40" samsung or 37" Toshiba/JVC. But I might try being sensible and getting 32". Its the same resolution, so you can sit closer and the effect will be the same :)

3. jeggsy

jeggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply matey

What I'm trying to see is what sort of setup other people have i.e LCD size v distance away from screen.

Just trying to get opinions, do you good people think 37" will be to big for my setup ???

4. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to the fact that your main viewing is Freeview,I would recommend the 32".I think you may find Freeview artefacts a little too distracting on a 37",whereas you'll barely notice them on a 32".If your main viewing was DVD,I'd have said go 37",as you would rarely notice artefacts and would have had the extra impact of size,that movies thrive on.However,when all is said and done,only you know what you'll be happiest with.Try to find somewhere with a decent Freeview feed(NOT the likes of C****s!)and compare both sizes from your viewing distance.Be aware though,that it also depends on make and model,some handle it better than others.

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I watch sky via Tivo (adds a bit of noise) on a 30" LCD from about 4 metres back. Looks fantastic. Stand 4ft away and it looks crap.

Going to upgrade soon for HD Ready, and will probably stay with 32" simply so sky looks OK. I am tempted for Sky HD and Xbox 360 etc, but realistically I can always sit closer to the screen, and I think I'll be happy enough until I need to upgrade the projector.

40" HD is nice, but 100" is better :D

6. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Our living room is fairly small.
    I suppose we sit about 10' away from the TV.
    I fancied changing our 28" CRT for a 32" model, was going to replace with another CRT but then started looking at LCD as an alternative.
    During the selection process, I also considered a 37" and was tempted with it, but decided on sticking with 32".
    Now the new TV is in situ, I am so glad that I did.
    A 37" screen in our small room would have looked totally out of place.
    From our viewing position, the PQ on the LCD looks on a par with the CRT, from a couple of feet away, I wouldn't have bought one!!
    Rob

7. Spangle2k5

Spangle2k5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have a 26" LCD which I sit 2 metres away from for watching.

The size is pretty much spot on for Freeview and the PQ is brilliant from the distance, although can look skanky close-up.

When watching films, although the picture is very vibrant and sharp, I can't help but think a bigger screen would make the whole thing more immersive. With hindsight, I would have purchased a 32" for viewing at my distance.

8. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    if you went for a 37" you could always wall mount it .then it wouldn't look to big and you can have the best of both worlds :D :D :D

9. jeggsy

jeggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers all.... Just what I've been after !!!

I have taken a shine to the new Sony "V" range of screens but they do 32" or 40" which narrows the choice slightly cuz 40" would be to big !!!!!

Will have to have a word with Mr Sony and get him to make a 35" LCD..... Split the difference :D :D :D :D :D

10. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    If you split the difference that would make it a 36" and not a 35". ;)

11. featherbrain

featherbrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many suggest a simple rule of thumb with LCDs: best viewing distance is at least 3 times the diagonal of the screen. I've found this to be just right for standard def with my 32" Samsung, with plenty of room for sitting closer if need be for high def content.

:thumbsup:

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    also bear in mind an LCD inch is a real inch. CRT inches are a bit small.

so a 32" LCD will be about 2" bigger than a 32" CRT due to the CRT having the frame cover some of the tube.

13. ziggy66

ziggy66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget that if you are switching from 4:3 to 16:9 then you need to get a bigger size to maintain the same height cos size is measured across the diagonal

To get the same height as a 20" 4:3 set you need about a 26" 16:9 panel.