Question, is Discovery and NGC HD as sharp as BBC-HD?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bengbeng, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Finally my local cable provider here in Holland does HDTV. They bring Discovery-HD and NGC-HD, something i wasn't able to receive on my satellite receiver (the Dutch satellite provider isn't "HD ready" yet). So i took the plunge for a HD cablebox next to my satellite box.
    Now my question; both feeds by the HDTV cable box are nice, but are not totally in the same ballpark as BBC-HD in terms of absolute sharpness.
    The bitrate seems ok, no MPEG4 compression noticable, but it is not as jaw dropping sharp as BBC-HD.
    Let's say BBC-HD by satellite is a ten, NGC and Discovery are a 7 to 9 (depending on the program). Sometimes it's close, but it will never be a ten. :)

Is this something which is the fault of my cableprovider (or equipment), or are NGC and Discovery on satellite also not as sharp as BBC-HD?

2. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    i think that it depends on the program you are watching.galapos is on tonight it will blow your socks off.BBC HD 2100 HRS BST

3. thehughes69

thehughes69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    do the dutch pick up bbc dh, how?

tis nice tho

4. Bengbeng

Bengbeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    BBC-HD by satellite is free to air. ;) Countries further away such as Germany will have problems to receive the signal i think but here in Holland no problem. Thank you England for that. :smashin: :) Pitty we have the sea in between us else i could visit you more. :)

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I've seen some stunning stuff on Disco and NG which easily match Planet Earth and Galapagos yet as stockyvillage says it does depend on the programming itself and the BBC is a trial so may be cherry picking the outstanding documentary stuff while the other two are genuine commercial channels with a wider range of content and sources.

However comparing direct broadcasting via satellite by the channels involved who control their own compression and re-broadcasting by HD cable who may do a secondary encode may not be ideal, too many unknowns.

Right now the the UK's VM cable broadcasts BBC HD but uses mpeg2 while the BBC use mpeg4 on satellite, I've no idea if the BBC supply a high bitrate main feed to VM who re-encode or if they take the satellite broadcast and re-encode from that.