1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question HTPC: Playing games on secondary screen - how!?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by sainthalo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have a projector setup as a secondary screen on xp media center edition with a normal monitor as the primary display. whenever i play a game it stays on the primary monitor unless i make it into a window and drag it over to the projector screen which is quite a fuss and does not give a full screen image - if i maximize im stuck back on screen 1....

so how do i get to play on screen 2 while leaving screen 1 with its desktop.

i am not running in clone mode and would prefer not to if at all possible as i enjoy being able to use the computer to surf while a film plays on the projector.

is there a software solution for this niggle?

gfx card is fanless 9600 sapphire, p4 2.4, xp mce, please help! :lease:

2. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    There is a way to resolve this other than clone mode. Make the projector your primary display in display properties when you feel the need....just swap 1 & 2. Remember to swap back before you shut down though. It's a bit of a kludge but it will work. :)

3. dancingmatt

dancingmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    With nVidia cards you can set "individual application settings" and I think force applications to always open on display 1 or display 2, rather than just whatever the primary display is. I don't know if you can do something similar with your card.

I'm outputting to a bogstandard TV at the mo whilst shopping around for a PJ and I have to swap the primary display as above. Sometimes I leave the telly as primary but keep the icons and taskbar locked to the secondary (i.e. monitor).

nVidia profiles can be double clicked in the later driver versions, so I keep different display setting profiles in the quick launch and can just jump from 2 monitors to 1+TV...

DM