Question Question how to install strip lighting

bravogolf

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As part of my foray into smart lighting I'd like to replace my under counter lights with Philips Hue strip lighting. How does one install in an environment like mine (attached). right now there's a power cable above the counters that goes down and connects to each bulb/tube. It's activated by a mains powered switch under the nearest counter.

Presumably I take the same approach, wiring into mains switch, to connect each counter do I simply bridge with power cables?
IMG_8484.jpg

Here's a better picture with the current lights on. I can't work out how to break the strip into multiple lengths to go under each counter, maybe it's assumed to be not possible?
IMG_8485.jpg

The Philips Hue strips have cut points every 33cm. The 2M strip includes the PSU/controller. The 1M strip is an extension. Each light strip PSU can power 10M of light strip. So for a 10M run you would need 1X2M strip + 8X1M strip.
You obviously don't want to buy a 2M strips and keep wasting most of the strip.
Now the tricky bit - You have to be good with a soldering iron!
Buy 702-0629 and 701-9865 connectors from RS Components and a few metres of CAT5 cable. Then just cut the strips to the closest 33cm cut point, but cut across the solder pad. Solder the correct connector. You can join cabinets with the CAT5 cable and a connector.
Easy if you are good with a soldering iron.

Ah, ok. That's a pity, might not be worth the effort, I have none of the required equipment, though I s'pose I could get someone 'round to help. I was thinking in the meantime I might run strip lighting across the top of the counters, would need 10 or 11m in a solid line, hard to know it would look a little stupid or awesome :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom