Question - HDMI switch for use with HDfury, Sonos Arc but with SPDIF output for headphones.

dcrobertshaw

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an older tv and looking to get Dolby Atmos on my arc so looked at the FeinTech and HDfury. My issue is that I have a pair of Astro A50s and the base unit has a SPDIF pass through so I can use them for anything plugged into my tv. I don’t use chat on my PS5/Shield so this setup is perfect.

I’m looking for a switch that would work with the HDfury to get atmos to my arc but also has an SPDIF port to send 5.1 to my A50s.

Does such a switch exists? I can’t find one! I figure it must be possible as TVs have these ports and could handle it.

Thanks!

edit: think I found one almost right after posting 🤦‍♂️

HDMI Matrix 4 in 2 Out 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR D-o-l-b-y Vision Atmos SPDIF 5.1CH Breakout 3.5mm Stereo HDCP2.2- PC Console 16 EDID HDMI Scaler 4K 1080P Sync, HDCP2.2 HDMI2.0 Matrix 4x2 IR Remote,MX42PRO Amazon product ASIN B07TD81BDH

Last edited:
You will have to ensure the Source is set to 2.0/5.1 when you wish to use the Optical Out to the headphones.

How many external Source devices do you have and does the TV support ARC/do you need to support ARC?

Not every switch will work in conjunction with the HDFury Arcana.

Joe

You will have to ensure the Source is set to 2.0/5.1 when you wish to use the Optical Out to the headphones.

How many external Source devices do you have and does the TV support ARC/do you need to support ARC?

Not every switch will work in conjunction with the HDFury Arcana.

Joe
Oh that will be annoying, looks like a physical button from the pictures. I have 4 devices.m, my tv supports ARC but I don’t use it, is there a benefit when using a switch?

Best to start by outlining all of the kit you will be working with (Make and Model numbers) and how you would like to utilise the system is required before anyone can advise on how best to connect up your system.

Very few devices have the ability to play or pass HD/Immersive (Atmos) audio and simultaneously encode to DD 5.1 or 2.0 as the licensing costs are huge for the technology required.

Joe

Best to start by outlining all of the kit you will be working with (Make and Model numbers) and how you would like to utilise the system is required before anyone can advise on how best to connect up your system.

Very few devices have the ability to play or pass HD/Immersive (Atmos) audio and simultaneously encode to DD 5.1 or 2.0 as the licensing costs are huge for the technology required.

Joe
Great, thank you for the guidance.

I have a Philips 65PUS7303/12 and Sonos Arc as part of a 5.1 setup. I have an Xbox one X, PlayStation 5, 2017 Nvidia Shield and Nintendo Switch. Plus Astro A50’s.

Trying to get Atmos to my Arc from Xbox (gaming, Netflix), PlayStation (gaming) and Shield (Kodi) and 5.1 to my Astro A50 headphones from Xbox and PlayStation but ideally from everything.

Currently have it all going into my tv with an audio cable from tv, into Astro base station that has a passthrough with another cable to the Arc.

I was thinking everything would go into a switch that could output atmos to the Arcana and 5.1 to the Astro via an optical cable. But I’m now thinking that might have been a little naive…

The licensing costs from Dolby makes transcoding Atmos to DD uneconomical for any HDMI Switch manufacturer unless you are will to spend huge money - and even then they are very rare.

You can cascade multiple Source devices via a compatible Switch into the HDMI Input of the HDFury Arcana.

The ideal combination is the HDFury Vertex2 + Arcana though there are some lower cost Switch units which are compatible with the Arcana (though not sure if any of them have Optical Out).

As per previous notes you will have to limit the Source to DD5.1 when you wish to use the headphones.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom