1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Toshiba WH08B owners.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Ben Tegally, May 21, 2001.

1. Ben Tegally

Ben Tegally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I hope you don't mind me asking this as there's no end of talk about this set already, but I'm considering the 40" 100Hz Toshiba and wouldn't mind some independent opinions.

My first question concerns the setup, as one Sound and Vision home cinema retailer said that they didn't do rear projection sets in their store because they were 'fussy' and needed an engineer to install it properly in order to get the best picture (mainly due to all the bumping about during delivery which 'throws it off'). Is it really that temperamental and difficult to set-up and maintain? Reading everyones problems on the forum makes me wonder .

The second question really determines if I'll be able to get the thing in the first place. I was wondering what the picture is like at a distance of about 220 cm. I know DVD will be fine at this distance but I'm concerned about normal TV viewing (with a digital signal). Is the picture good or too grainy to watch at that distance?

I'm going to try and get a personal demo but I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks!

2. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes mate your spot on i am on my 3rd set and as it was droped out side my home,i've had to hassle toshiba for an engineer.
    I live in essex and the nearest superscreen service centre is in ipswich?.
    I would advise you to get something else as if your set has a fault you'll have a lot of hassle trying to get it repaired.
    :mad:

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In 10 years I have had five RP tv's and all have worked fine. If you have any difficulty getting the perfect set up, your dealer will send someone to help. Believe me, I now have the Toshiba 46WHO8B and it is the best RP set I have ever owned. They are no more likely to go faulty than any other type of tv. I am happy to show my tv to anyone who may be considering buying one, cup of tea or a beer included! The picture does exceed any CRT conventional tv and having a matt non-reflective screen makes a hell of a difference enabling viewing in all light levels.

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I also have the 46" Tosh and think its one amazing TV experience.

Delta, whats the reflective screen for that I got in the instruction bag?

The set is best suited to a good DVD player using anamorphics disc's while TV is Ok but not perfect. I wouldn't get the 40" as 6" makes alot of difference. Take it from us you wont be dissapointed and if we haven't persuaded you there is an updated model out the WH13B I think. It has more circuitry to deliver better colour TV reproduction and so on....

Ive used my TV every day since I got it and it still brings a smile to my face. :D

5. Hammers

Hammers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I have just ordered the 46WH08B set from Robert Whyte ltd in Glasgow for a reasonable £1849.99 with a free active sub worth £150!.I have also been told that Toshiba will deliver the set and "Install" it (setting up the convergance etc etc) which is fantastic news! (I've been having sleepless nights after reading some stories on here).
    The info tags on all the Tosh PR tvs in my local Comet also state that the televisions will be installed on delivery so maybe this is now a standard practice for Toshiba??

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BadAss

I always read through the manual before I do anything, so I know what is what! That's you told! . The reflective screen is for placing on top of certain brands of VCR in order to illiminate any interference between it and the tv should you choose to buy the stand in which to install your VCR, etc. Mine works fine without the screen and I suspect most will anyway. It's just a sensible precaution on Toshiba's part.

John Doe, you will not be disappointed! it is worth bearing in mind that most of the so-called faults you read about on this string applies also to every type of tv but on the smaller screens they are less obvious. So the quality of a RP tv picture has to be that more accurate in the first place in order for the thing to sell. Any 'faults' are usually caused by moving the tv and the effects of the earth's magnetism on the settings. (Or when seen in Comet or Curry's where they don't know their ass from their elbow). In almost every instance the dealership will quickly put these things right. So don't worry anymore and have a good night's sleep.

7. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me wrong a well set up rptv and good dvd combo can look really good,Just do not expect much help if as in my case it goes off spec.

Problem being there's not enough well trained engineer's here in essex any way?.

I really hope this improves as to why this was the case toshiba could not say.

I just hope that one day soon my set is showing me the picture that i know is possible? :confused:

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Delta, what did I say? Did I offend you in anyway? Or insult you? I re-read through my post and can't see anything.

9. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, of course not, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I replied! Hope we are mates again now. :)

10. Hammers

Hammers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks delta,
    I'm sleeping a little easier now.Toshiba are due to deliver it this Saturday so I'm a little excited and little fed up with watching the 14" portable I have been using these last few weeks.
    I can't wait to see what it looks like in the lounge..46 inches of pure pleasure..ooo errr.
    Where are the scart sockets located on the rear of the TV (Left central or right)?.I have a feeling I might be investing in some longer cables!

11. bug

bug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi john
    The scart sockets are located on the right hand side, When you set arrives please make sure it's not knocked or banged! as this will knock the set off spec anyway mate am sure you'll have fun with the monster. ;)

12. Hammers

Hammers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bug I can't wait! Looks like I'm of to Richer Sounds on Saturday for new cables then.My Equipment stand is going to be at the left of the set and my scarts and s-video are 1.5 meters long which will just fall short I think.Oh well who said this hobby ever made any sense!?

13. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    try here for your leads, order on-line with royal mail delivery normally next day. ;)

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, While we are on this subject I recieved the 40WH08B yesterday. I got it from Sound&Vision and was told by the sales person it had to be delivered by them because inproper delivery can misalign the guns in the set (or something). Any way with this in mind the TV is set up at home but the cabinet has not been assembled yet. What is the best way to get the cabinet under the TV without disturbing the guns in the TV?

Also can sliding the TV on the floor slightly (ie a few feet) damage the TV alignment?

When the cabinet is attached under the TV do you think the TV is too high?

Thanks for any help guys.

15. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry about moving the tv, just handle it with care, you can't misalign the guns. I was at Sound & Vision one day, they asked me to help unpack a 60" RP tv, it came straight out of its packaging, was then switched on and it worked perfectly with no further adjustment required. RP tv's need the same respect as any other tv, they are no worse as long as they are handled carefully. To fit the tv on to its stand you need two people to lift the tv and then place it on the stand. Afterwards move it back into position and if the convergence has drifted, wait 40 minutes before resetting it and everyhting will be fine.

There are too many people looking for faults that don't exist on RP tv's!

16. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just came across this and I am wondering if you have been happy with your tv?

17. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,969
    Hi Delta, or anyone,

As i am not getting any replies, which is a little off putting, but i will persit;

1. What is the recommend (closest) to what to be to a 40" and 46" screen (RP), i am just under 2 and half metres from where the tv would be, is this ok?

2. I will be putting tv in my room upstairs and wanted to know if that would cause problems for the installers and the tv itself be it 40 or 46, is other. (will tilting it was problems)?.

3. Thanks

rai

18. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,969
    3. i mean will tilting it cause problems?, when taking it up one flight of stairs.

19. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The distance you quote is fine for watching the 402 but you need to be around 3.5 to 4 m away for the 46". As a rule allow about 36" distance for every 12" of screen diagonal.

Provided you don't tilt it too much and handle it with great care it should be okay but will definitley need setting up afterwards. I was once advised not to tilt a tv because the oil in the guns could leak out. How true this is I am not sure, maybe someone else can advise...

20. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The important thing is not to bang it going up the stairs. It will definately need a setup afterwards.

Regards

21. HYPERON

HYPERON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me and give me some idea's on how I can get the picture back to it's normal position? To my knowledge the TV (46WHO8B) has not been knocked, but I have a couple of red faced children who tell me that " we just turned it on and it was like that " :eek: The picture has dropped and appears to be now 3D. Are there any settings I can use to pull it back into align? or anything I can do to adjust it manually? :lease: The set is about 4 years old.