Question for Timh about Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Feb 22, 2002.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Quick question Timh,

I will probably be getting an 80in wide Model B after all and was wondering if you could tell me roughly how much it weighed. ie Will I have any trouble attaching it to a plasterboard dividing wall. Also, can you confirm that the width of the whole unit including casing is 87in. I need confirmation as the room is only 89in wide and I dont want to risk the measurement quoted on the web (87in) being a misprint.

Cheers m8

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Calibos

I think Da-lite need a new tape measure :(
    My screen casing measures exactly 87 5/16" so you should just about fit it in, but you will have no way of getting to the side of the screen to tighten the screws, so you need to get the screws something like before lifting the screen into place, which takes two people.
    If you are going to hang it on the wall make sure you buy some really good quality plugs for studded walls, Whickes have quite a wide choice of screws and plugs.
    I dont know the correct weight but the 80" x 60" is 24lb (shipping, including box) this should be pretty close to mine which is 80 X 45 with 12" extra drop.
    Are you still going for CSR, I heard it was £110 extra.
    Dont hesitate if you have anymore questions.

Attached Files:

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What can I say Timh,

To paraphrase someone famous;) , "Never in the field of Home-Cinema, have so many panny pj owners owed so much to so few". Your good self obviously and messrs Plumb, Lion and Hoglet.
    :D

Once again you provide me with inspiration for my own setup and much needed info and advice. Cheers for posting that picture of the screen brackets by the way. Pictures are worth a thousand words. A trip down to the local Woodies is in order methinks. I'm gonna need some 'industrial' wall plugs for those bolts!!:eek:

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot.......5m approx power cord and male to male vga cord for panny. Where the hell am I gonna get those?? Any idea's? Local hardware and computer store ????

Anyway, Thanks again Timh.

4. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just noticed on the picture that your screen is bracketed to the ceiling and not the wall. Is it a concrete ceiling or just a normal plaster ceiling?? If a plasterboard ceiling can take the weight then I should have no problem with a plasterboard wall.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim had to cut into the coving in order to locate a timber joist.

A plasterboard ceiling or wall wouldn't be enough to support the screen weight, & the even greater "weight" used to pull the screen down(you have to overcome the spring tension of the rollers).

You're looking at a 3 week wait for a screen here calibos

:mad:

Trust me, I've checked:p

6. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Calibos,

I would suggest not just buying a standard "thin" VGA cable from a computer store. I borrowed some from work and tried them and they were uniformly dreadful; the level of video noise on the image increased significantly. There was also some slight ghosting.

I would suggest contacting either Gordon Fraser or Joe Fernand (both active forum members) and ask them to quote for getting a decent quality one. It will be a bit more expensive, but definitely worth it.

I've ended up with a 6M male-male made with Van Damme cable. It has no perceivable impact on video quality. Turn around time was about a week.

--- Dave

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Kramer's right, I did have to cut into the coving to locate the joist, I would never have fastend to a plaster board ceiling.

I have had a thought though, if you are going to fix the screen to a plasterboard deviding wall, you could try and find the vertical battens behind the plaster board, they wont be the correct distance apart, but you could put a horizontal batten onto you wall fastening this to the vertical battens, and then fixing the screen to your new horizontal batten, this would also maybe give you enough clearance for the screen to come down over any pictures you have on the wall.
    You should be able to manage this without using wall plug's, just wood screw's.

As many have said, Joe Fernand seems to be the one to contact for cables.
    I know I will.

p.s
    Why cant you attach it to the ceiling joist's?

8. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I got a Da-Lite 45"x80" from direkt2u.co.uk last year.
    They were most efficient with delivery no where near three weeks.
    Kevin

9. Moto

Moto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe he's just had a mad rush on Screens so i wouldn't be suprised.

Should recieve mine end of this week hopefully, but still looking for that elusive projector that nobody has....

Andy