Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Question for those with passivley cooled 6600GT / XT800

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Skunkpipe, May 10, 2005.

1. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any one with either of these cards give any insight into what sort of clearance there is either side of these cards - notably, is there a heatsink/heatpipe on the back of the card? (It's difficult to tell from the pictures I've seen).
    I'd rather know before going out and buying them and finding out they're not suiteable for my application (like the 9600XT ultra was :thumbsdow )

Cheers

2. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Gigabyte 6600gt. It has heatsinks on both the front and back of the card, with a heatpipe joining the two going over the top of the card.
    I think this could be quite tight in a lot of cases.
    Mine is currently in a full tower so no issues for me (spare slot above pci-ex slot). If you don't have space above the graphics slot or have a large auxilliary card there it might be tight.

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sort of expected that :thumbsdow
    yup that's the issue in 2 of the cases I use. A std 9600 is about as powerfull as I can go passively. Still it plays Doom3 at TV resolutions well enough

4. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    The gigabyte fanless 6600gt renders my one and only PCI slot unusuable (Shuttle case)

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    mine gets too hot, so i wouldn't use the next slot if i could anyway. i want some airflow under it.