Question for those with Media Centre

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Deleted member 92943, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic TX-32LXD500 LCD which has a built in Freeview but i don't have a recorder of some osrt so i was thinking about upgrading my PC to media Centre so i can record onto a hdd and networking it with my 360 using the extender.

But.... What is the Picture quality like after recording onto a PC, getting it onto the 360 using media extender and then going into the LCD via Component.

Do you loose quality and how does it compare to a dedicated or built in Freeview decoder

What other benifits is there to have Media centre and the XBox together?

2. jordy32

jordy32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i can't say about the conversion used for recording on the media center pc server (technically) but overall both live tv and recordings appear to be less detailed and more prone to artifacts than using the inbuilt tuner on my 32" Dell HDTV.

I am using a wireless bridge to the xbox 360 with components into the LCD.

Various forums have suggested that the mpeg2 codec used on the host system can greatly affect picture quality on the host. If recordings are also made utilising the codecs on the host then this could be something to look at. I'm currently using the mpeg 2 from windvd.

Oh, and if you have a cheapie tuner card (£29.99 Aldi Tevion currently on offer) I hope you don't come across the cannot render? mpeg2 demux problem as this took me a few hours to sort out!

On a positive note you can pick up a 360 compatible remote on ebay for less than £3. Mine should turn up soon, so I'm hoping it all works correctly.

3. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people are saying that the PQ is better while others are saying it is worse, so i don't know what to do?

4. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    it does depend on the decoder you use. If you look at the media center forum everyone seems happiest using the nvidia one and I use it too with no issues.

My PC is actually used as the main tv connected via dvi but the quality of playback is great on the machine itself. I havent tried streaming to the 360 so cant comment on the quality via streaming I'm afraid.

5. ALANH16

ALANH16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Picture Quality depends on what your recording, i think there can be a slight drop on quality if your recording from sky or cable (anyone confirm that?)

My setup is dual tuner freeview cards, which gives excellent PQ, probably better than a bog standard stb.

Playing back on the extender is crystal clear too (as long as its well connected rgb scart at least) , complete with the familiar Media Center interface.

Dont have any playback issues, my pc will quite happily record 2 programmes, whilst playing back a 3rd on the pc, and playing back a 4th on the 360.

6. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of chucking a couple of Freeview tuners in. Using the extender on the 360 which like i said is using Component. The recording PQ will be the best as i have ALOT of Hard Drive space, so no problems there

How does the media extender work?

I assume you have he PC on when you use the 360. Go to Media Centre on the 360 and does it which your TV setting to the PC or copy the media centre from PC into the 360. Can you record, pause and rewind ect programs through the 360 or do you have to be on the PC itself to do that

I am not too sure how it works.

Plus what DECENT tuners should i be looking at getting and is it worth doing now or waiting for Viesta to come out

7. ALANH16

ALANH16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your recording from freeview, then the recording PQ will isnt configurable and is always at best, the tuners basically pass the program straight to the hard drive, which is decoded on playback, as mentioned earlier by WSB. I also use the nvidia one.

You have to have the PC on for the extender to work, you'll probably find its running nearly 24/7 anyway, recording your favourite programmes throughout the day.

The media center extender works just like MC does on the PC, just hit the green button on the 360 media remote and up pops media centre on the 360.

It looks and works exactly like it does on the pc, so you can watch live tv, record, pause, rewind, access the guide, setup series recordings etc etc just as you would on the pc, along with access to your music, pictures & videos

As i mentioned earlier, you can run MC on the PC at the same time, giving you the option to watch something different in 2 rooms at the same time.

As far as tuners go, your best bet would be to look at forums at www.thegreenbutton.com or www.xpmce.com to see what people happy with at the moment.

8. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do people men when they say ' the nvinda one'

I asuume that Media Extender and the 360 won't do media centre if the PC is off?

9. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. pilgrimchris

pilgrimchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    They mean the dvd decoder - the software you need on your pc to play dvd's.

By the way I have the panny 500 as well connected to a media center pc - recording quality if fine. The only issue I have is with the quality of the connection - wired seems perfect but wireless is a varying compromise - sometimes fine sometimes congested. I'm about to upgrade to a PreN MIMO wireless router to see if that makes a difference as I really don't want to wire

11. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using a wired connection

12. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    i have a media centre with two freeview cards it, very impressed with it:thumbsup:

the picture quality is not as good through the extender as having the tv actually connected to the media centre but its pretty good

a wireless 54g connection is pretty much fine for standard def tv but dont even bother trying to stream HD 720p material

EDIT : with wired the picture quality is great and you can stream HD files aswell then

13. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even through the extender?

14. m1ket

m1ket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    i dont think its as good as on the media centre itself just because like people have said you can pick which mpeg2 decoder to use but dont worry the quality on the extender is more than acceptable