Question for those of you who have built frames so your plasma/lcds look set in wall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by thegavsters, Aug 31, 2007.

1. thegavsters

thegavsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I have been lurking around the diy and gallery sections pinching ideas for my own setup that I am starting soon, but I have one question for you guys that have set your screens in the wall as its been puzzling me.

When building the frame and having it plastered etc.. how are you making sure that you are able to hang the plasma on the bracket when its complete?

Also is it particulalry difficult and fiddly getting it on there.

Any advice would be great as I have this horrible feeling that once I have done mine Im not going to get the thing on the wall.

2. scouse258

scouse258
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hey

i fixed up the wall mount then mounted the tv. i used the mounted tv to take the dimensions of the frame i was building then simply covered it extremely well and built around it.

i was a few mm out on allsides but i used coloured silicon to fill in the gap.

i have sold my house now and that was a clincher in the deal. the only naff thing was that i didnt put in enough cables (used 1 scart, hdmi and 2 component only) so thats something i will remember when i get around to doing the next one.

Be advised though, my mate did the same (i copied him) and it was murder when his set failed as he hat to pull it all out!!!

3. rdmbfossa

rdmbfossa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I would recommend leaving a gap of at least 50mm, preferably more all round your TV for ventilation. It will also make it easier to put the TV up and to take it down. You could also consider puting air vents in the top of the plasterboard above the TV. If you restrict the air ventilation around your set you may well have problems with the TV overheating.

4. thegavsters

thegavsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats more like it. I dont want to be left in a position where I cant get it off once attached. I also intend to drill some small holes in the plasterboard above the tv for heat dessipation too.

I suppose the best way to do it is to hang the tv and measure the room I need to remove it before building the frame.

5. rdmbfossa

rdmbfossa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    A tilting bracket also makes it easier to fit the cables into the TV as you can tilt the TV upwards so the bottom of the TV is farthest forward and fit the cables whilst the TV is hung. Getting the cables fitted is obviously more difficult to do with a flat bracket.

6. thegavsters

thegavsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with a tilting bracket wouldnt that stick out further meaning I would need to build the frame with more depth? worried I would lose too much room if I did that. I have had a look round and theres a few brackets that extend out which might be ideal although they are a lot more pricey then a static one.

7. rdmbfossa

rdmbfossa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The pivot arm brackets are ideal for installing into a recess but as you say they are very expensive, but it would make the installation much, much easier. You would have to get the dimensions of the bracket you plan to use, my own tilting one is about 70mm deep add the depth of the TV, mine is 95mm = total 165mm approx. You can get slim brackets of only 25mm depth but check your tv manual to see if there is any ventilation issues as I think some manufacturers recommend 50mm between the TV and the wall. Another thing to check is the position of the input sockets on the back of your set to see how easy it will be to fit the cables once the tv is up.

8. lochie

lochie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7