Question for the guys

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
This is quite a close topic to me so please those that like to dont jest

As many of you know my Dad died 3 and a half years ago when i was 13. He had cancer 6 times in 10 years.

I am now 17 and its getting round to the point where i need to think about/start shaving. Dads are the people that help you sort it all out as they have been in the same position and its one of their jobs.

What is best to do in terms of shaving eg wet shave or dry shave and manual or electric?
My best friend (19) and his dad (both of which i have known all my life) say its best to start of wet shaving.
I have asked him what its best to start out with eg what to get and everything but also thought to post here

Thanks for the help as mum hasnt much of an idea

SA6

SanPedro

Perfectly sensible question. And yes... mums aren't usually good at this sort of thing... unless you're talking legs or armpits ;).

Electric shavers are a 'lazymans' shave. They are never quite as close (smooth) as a good wet shave. And if your skin is still suffering spots and acne they seem to make it worse and irritate the skin more.

For a wet shave get a decent razor, You don't need to get suckered in by these mega multiblade offerings. I find them just a marketing gimmick. A 2 blade razor is usually more than adequate - try Gillette or wilkinson Sword. Don't buy cheapo razors as they can be nasty and have all the cutting power of a stick of rhubarb. Then you'll need shaving foam or gel.

In terms of the actual shaving technique I'd google 'how to shave'. there's bound to be stuff on U-Tube that will show you how. Generall the idea is you work down from your sideburns first and then shave up (against the grain) after the first pass. Shaving uwards to begin with can be really painful... especially with a few days growth to get rid of.

Make sure your beard is well softened with hot water before you start, otherwise the hair will be really stiff. If you have a shower you could try shaving in there as it softens the hair really well. Just be careful you don't cut yourself ;-)

Rinse off afterwards and apply some skin balm if needed. Aftershave will only make your skin sting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Ash, I had to work it out for myself too. My Dad wasn't around (for different reasons).
I'd agree that wet is the way to go. Electrics are OK, but I've never had one that I was happy with.

Don't go for a 65 blade, vibrating, lubricating, moisturising gadget either, the razor will cost you a bomb and the heads are twice the price of the razor.

I personally use Gillette Blue II disposables and King of Shaves AlphaGel.

Rather than try to explain, there's a guide here: Health 24 - Great man guides - How to shave correctly

Oh, and grab a WitchStick. You WILL cut yourself a few times. :devil:

Last edited:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
thanks was looking in boots the other day and theres so much stuff and you see all the adverts makes you wonder what is marketing ploys and what is useful

will it hinder which shaving foam etc i can use by the fact i have quite sensitive skin due to eczema?

next we will start getting onto brands and everything and although it will get confusing it will be helpful

thank you very much

FZR400RRSP

Banned
My dad wasn't around to teach me either.
I just figured it out myself, using an electric shavor.
No doubt that's easier for a beginner, and I've never looked back.
Spend £70+ on an electric shaver and you'll get a cracking shave.
Maybe not quite as good as a wet shave, for the perfectionist, but still very good and a damned sight less hassle.
There are loads of skincare products for electric shaving too.
Nivea for Men is cheap.
I use Clinique products, worth the extra.

Last edited:

SanPedro

thanks was looking in boots the other day and theres so much stuff and you see all the adverts makes you wonder what is marketing ploys and what is useful

will it hinder which shaving foam etc i can use by the fact i have quite sensitive skin due to eczema?

next we will start getting onto brands and everything and although it will get confusing it will be helpful

thank you very much

I'd look for something with as few additives as possible. If there's a brand of soap or shampoo that you use becasue of your skin then see if they do a shaving gel, foam or old fashioned shaving stick (the ones you use with a brush). TBH old fashioned soap will do the job if you find it doesn't irritate your skin. There's no rules about what gel/soap/foam etc is best. You may need to try a few to find one that suits you best.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
from my friend and his dad i mentioned in the OP when i was asking between wet shave or dry shave to start they both agreed wet shave as they say you need tougher skin for dry electric shaving

i speak from "apparentlies" and "im told that" as i have no clue

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
I prefer a wet shave as I have pretty sensitive skin and a electric shaver makes me look like someone strangled me because of the redness and irritation it gives my skin.

I use a wilkinson sword quatro (or something like that) the one with the trimming piece at the end, and also use a gillette shaving gel for sensitive skin.

After that I use a soothing balm (some organic kind I bought from the hair place where I cut my hair, mainly because the girl who sold it to me was HOT!!!!) to rub on after to sooth the skin, very good if you have sensitive skin as it cools it down from the irritation. Word of warning though, if you use cologne leave it for about 30 mins to an hour before spraying it on your neck.

Last edited:

blackrod

Mac Man's advice is good. If I were you I would just go with a decent shave gel like Gillette and a good razor such a Wilkinson Sword or Gillette Mach 3. Don't bother with the power ones unless they are on offer. Forget the 5 blade jobbies too.
Also, shave straight after a shower when your hair is soft, rinse off your razor using hot water. Once finished, splash your face with warm water first then cold to close your pores.

Duncan G

I just use ordinary soap for lather and I have found the cheap bic razors work fine. I shave once a week though, so by sunday I have the startings of a beard to remove each week.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
wet shave as they say you need tougher skin for dry electric shaving

Electric shavers have come a long way.
You can get ones you can use in the shower etc.etc.
With built-in moisturers etc.
I just 'dry' shave as soon as I'm out of the shower, so my skin is still warm and the hairs are sticking up.
Then I immediately splash with cold water after the shave.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
I just use ordinary soap for lather and I have found the cheap bic razors work fine. I shave once a week though, so by sunday I have the startings of a beard to remove each week.

You're lucky, its every 2 days for me

Zeromajor

Electric shavers are a 'lazymans' shave. They are never quite as close (smooth) as a good wet shave. And if your skin is still suffering spots and acne they seem to make it worse and irritate the skin more.

It totally depends on your skintype/sensitivity - electric shavers are a must for me as I have really rashy/irratible skin around my neck which is unbearable with a wet shave 90% of the time.

Just for convenience it's worth having a good quality (I like braun) electric shaver for those mornings you don't have time for a wetshave.

Dony

Distinguished Member
If I were you, I'd go to the chemists / supermarket and pick up a half decent Gilette razor (not the most expensive). They will come with 2 or 3 blades inside the box. Then have a look at the different foams and gels. To start off with, I'd get one for sensitive skin. Personally, I prefer using gel (don't waste as much so lasts longer). I wouldn't get bogged down in what's the best foam as they all do a job, and once you get the technique right, you can then experiment with different products.

Then get home, lock yourself in the bathroom, fill the basin with hot water and splash around your face to soften the stubble, then apply the foam / gel and as someone has said, shave down from the locks. You don't need to apply too much pressure, just enough for the blades to glide against the skin.
Remember to rinse the blade after each stroke.

At the end, rinse off, and don't forget to clean out sink out after. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't get bogged down in what's the best foam as they all do a job.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Once a week???

I'm twice a day, if I have a function on in the evening.

That's the problem I found with the few electric shavers I've tried....they can only do half the job of a wet shave.

Codehead

Distinguished Member

thank you very much

AlphaGel ASC is good for sensitive skin. Plus it's a low foam gel, so you can see where you're shaving if you have any inflamed areas that need careful work.

King Of Shaves AlphaGel ASC Shaving Gel - Antibacterial 175ml: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

Try a few different things and see how you get on.

SanPedro

:eek:

I don't shave on Saturday and Sunday and by Monday I look like a hobo :D

Although I'm lucky my partner likes the 'rugged' look. But she hates proper beards. So it's back on the shaving treadmill Monday morning .

Ian J

Banned
I've tried most of these new fangled razors when they come out but always end up going back to my Gillette Sensor Excel but I've found that the biggest difference between a decent shave and a scrape that takes for ever is the shaving foam rather than the razor.

Again I've tried loads of different types of oils and foams etc but always end up back with the old fashioned tube of Palmolive Classic applied with a shaving brush as that seems to give me a closer shave than anything else. even then I only use just over half of the tube as it seems to lose it's shaveability in the second half

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Had to do the same thing. Lets just say my dad isn't the best dad ever.

I started off wet shave, and then for a couple of years I went electric (pure laziness). Now I've gone back to wet shave. It's much better and healthy for your skin (imo).

Remember to buy some quality blades - not that Bic crap, you might aswell use a sharp brick. Best time to shave is straight after having a shower. The steam will open up your pores and you get a smoother shave.

There's another massive topic floating around here somewhere. With all sorts of recomendations.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Thank you Dony and others that is great

So i need to go to the chemist/supermarket etc and get a razor (something like a middle range gillette one and some shaving gel? do i need anything else eg after shaving "care" as it were?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
Thank you Dony and others that is great

So i need to go to the chemist/supermarket etc and get a razor (something like a middle range gillette one and some shaving gel? do i need anything else eg after shaving "care" as it were?

I use a cooling balm that I bought from the hair dresser / groomer place down the road for me, its made with coco butter and has no funny chemicals or anything and it works wonders after, but I do have sensitive skin and this stuff just helps to cool my skin back down after.

But have a few shaves first and see how you get on

SparkShot

Must recommend Nivia sensitive balm for the post shave.

Pretty much been using it for 5 years now.

Great stuff for getting rid of any soreness after shaving.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021