Question for the guru's I need a 55" what do you recommend?

Baker0

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've been away from the game for a while and I need expert advice on what TV to buy. Its going to be for mainly for PC gaming so a quick response time is required. looking around the 55" about £800 ish

Any help would be superb.

Cheers
Baker0

Only reasonably priced UHD TV that matches your criteria is Hisense 55N6800 or Sony 55XE7002.

But these TVs will probably go down a lot in price between black friday and xmas and again when new TVs are released in spring, so you may want to consider waiting to save money and buy instead then.

As you can see from last years Hisense equivalent model it was the same kind of price when released, but down too 600 at black friday and as low as 450-500 spring this year.
Hisense H55M5500 Price history.png

Same goes for last years Sony:
Sony Bravia KD-55XD7005 Price history.png

If you can go a little smaller then the 49" Sony XE80 is within budget and looks pretty good by TV standards. 8ms GtG and 120hz backlight strobing with 50ms input lag, or 30ms if you turn off the strobing.

I was thinking I might be able to go 60". The first post have they got MS response? Or is it not all about that? Do Sony do a bigger xe80?

I was thinking I might be able to go 60". The first post have they got MS response? Or is it not all about that? Do Sony do a bigger xe80?

They do a 55" but I think it's Curry's PC World exclusive in the UK and currently way over budget:
Sony XE80 / XE83 4K HDR TV with 4K X-Reality PRO
SONY BRAVIA KD55XE8396 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV

Although it'll certainly come down to £800 or less in the next few months if you're not in any hurry.

The first post have they got MS response? Or is it not all about that?

That depends on what 'it' is. If you're talking about minimising ghosting/motion blur then you need a fast response time, a backlight strobing/black frame insertion system and an input that'll accept as high a frame rate as possible (120hz is the maximum for TVs as far as I'm aware, and only a few will accept that - none at all at 3840x2160 due to HDMI limitations).

Last edited:
I think you might be getting response time mixed up with input lag?

Response time and overshoot relate to motion blur whilst input lag relates to how soon your actions take place on screen.

Both matter for gaming but input lag is the most noticeable. Even if a tv doesn't rank very well with motion blur, it's generally not noticeable to most people.

Hisense was reviewed here on avf as having 28ms input lag Hisense H65N6800 4K LED TV Review

Sony was reviewed on this French website as having 20ms Sony KD-55XE7005 : un bon téléviseur de milieu de gamme

Both are very good figures for gaming, compared to last year that's one improvement that seems to be consistent amongst most models.

For some reason Pansonic's models this year are priced higher than others but these two tv's are on par with the 58DX700 and 58EX700 if you can find a better price by chance on those.

Even better if you can find last years DX750 Panasonic.

All have input lag decent enough, but the Hisense and Sony are still the lowest.

Last edited:
Both matter for gaming but input lag is the most noticeable.

I'd have said the opposite personally, high frame rates are noticeable more of the time then a 20ms difference in input lag.

Although a lot of it depends on what you're used to.

Wow thanks for your help. I'm going to wait for the sales next week hopefully pick up one. So for gaming its input lag. Ghosting might pee me off but I'm going to be sitting a distance to it. Sony KD-55XE7005 or
KD55XE8396 are the best ones...

Not sure which panel type the 55XE83 uses, right now we know the 55XE70 uses VA. At least according to a review of that model here: Sony KD-55XE7005 : un bon téléviseur de milieu de gamme

Both tv's will likely be their cheapest at spring next year, whilst betwen black friday and januray there should also be some reductions.

Not so sure about sales next week.

Just been looking at the Hisense H65N6800 I take it the H55N6800 will have the same board and screen with the same input lag?
Cheers baker0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom