1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for TH-42PE30 users

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sabujo, Aug 3, 2004.

1. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered one myself but I'm not sure how I am going to mount it on the living room yet. Can u tell me what is the orientation of the connectors in the back? That is, if they are aimed backwards (just like the PA20) or facing down, because I'm considering buying an universal Plasma Wall Mount.

Thanks in advance

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    There are four big bolt holes in the back facing straight out for wall mounting. Whereas the pedestal and floorstanding cabinet stands have poles that insert into holes in the bottom of the TV unit. From all the posts that I have read here, the profile of the back of the Viera sets is not straight though but curves/bulges towards the back of the set to house the subwoofers which can cause issues with some types of wall bracket.

This pdf manual is from an american website for the TH42PX25, the glass display panel and connection options are totally different but the overall shape of the TV is identical to the UK spec models.

Hope this answers your question.

S.

3. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The connectors are outward facing like the PA20. The PW6 has the boards and so connectors are downward facing cos of that.

The PE30 is quite 'tight' for decent quality screened scart cables though. It can be done but make sure the cables are quite pliable as you may have to do some bending to get all 3 scarts plugged in.

4. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Oops misread the question :blush: :rotfl: As per Ekko's post above.

S.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Steve_P's points are still pertinent though. :)

The scarts, do not protrude any further out the back, so all you need to allow is the depth of the screen. Though you will need to allow about max 1.5" as the thickness of any cables does add to the depth allowance between plasma/wall/mount.

The PE30 has a cable tidy sytem on the rear as well and you should not feed the cables through the 'flap' as suggested. If you do, it will require you to allow a slightly further depth allowance still.

For these reasons I believe the Viera designers designed this set with the following priorities in mind :

1) Video Cabinet
    2) Desk Top Stand
    3) Wall Mount

And it is the video cabinet that sets this Plasma all off really and makes it the design icon that it is ;)

6. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, guys. I see i have a lot of work ahead if i want to have it my way. I'm very keen on mounting it on the wall because:
    1- I'll keep my investment out of my toddler's reach. (he loves to hit my 29'' Sony with his hands or whatever he's holding.
    2- The distance from my eyes to the wall is 3.5meters (roughly 12feet) and i'm afraid that shortening that distance will render a poor PQ watching TV and maybe some poor authored DVDs

hummm... i just found something that might just do the trick: a universal tiltable wall mount that actually gives 12 cm of spacing to the wall. I think that's more than enough and its not too expensive either.

http://www.netonnet.de/item.asp?iid=53386

even the fixed version gives 62mm of room to fit my shielded scarts. I might give them a go.