1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for techies.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paiger, Jan 30, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am aware that it is possible to buy Scart - Svideo+2RCA and Svideo+2RCA - Scart cables. Heres my dillema.

I wish to run my VCR and Sony Sat box (both with Scarts) through my Sony Processor which has Svideo inputs and then on to the TV which has a Scart. Neither device puts out Svideo signals so what would happen if I used one of these converters between the VCR and the amp? As far as I can see a scart has RGB and composite pins but no Svideo anyway. Would I get no picture?

Also the processor has Svideo in and Svideo out for the VCR. If I used converter cables both ways what would happen? Would I create a massive explosion by making a loop with the scart leads when the amp was swithced to the video input?

Help me I'm melting.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,487
    a fully wired 21-pin SCART carries RGB, s-video and composite video signal, and analogue audio.

Just use 2 x SCART -> composite video/analogue leads to connect both SKY and VCR to separate inputs to your amp, and then connect composite on your amp to your TV.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That won't work on a Sony as the s-video is on a seperate bus to composite.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,487
    er.....what won't work??

5. OldEngland

OldEngland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If neither device puts out an s-video signal then connecting them to you amp via s-video (for picture) and 2 phonos (for sound) will result in sound but no picture. If your vcr and sat box output s-video via the scart connector and you connect as above and your TV is connected to your amp via s-video and the TV equiped to receive s-video, then you will get sound and picture.

A fully wired scart socket will carry s-video, but most non s-video VCRs are not wired for it.

When you select VCR on your amp, the signal in is not routed to the VCR out.

You will probalby find that if you send an s-video signal into your amp. it will be output on the s-video monitor out but not the composite monitor out (and visa-versa).

6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I'm confused. If neither device outputs s-video, why do you want to convert to s-video just for switching in the amp. Will it not switch composite?

Cheers,
    Liam

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it will use composite but I don't want to use composite for the DVD and would have liked them all on one lead going to the telly. I think I'll leave the DVD in Scart 1 (RGB) and route all the rest through composite on the amp to scart 2.

S