Question for ST-E2 Owners

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by cedmondson, Sep 19, 2007.

1. cedmondson

cedmondson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Can anyone tell me whether Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) can be applied from the camera's controls (a Canon 40D in my case) through a ST-E2 to a remote flash?
    I have a 420EX which has no controls on the flash itself to apply FEC but will do so directly connected to the 40D. I'm sorely tempted to get a ST-E2 to give me a bit of directional control over my fill-flash but can't find anything that says whether I'll get this FEC control through it or not.

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    Hi

It's fully E-TTL compatible. As far as I can tell, the flash doesn't behave any differently to the way it does when mounted on the camera.

You can also trigger more than one flash from it and program ratios independently on them. So for example you can have it trigger one flash at full power and another one at quarter power.

Steve

3. cedmondson

cedmondson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Thanks for this. There are some great resources on the web in this area (strobist, photonotes.org) but none that seemed to answer my specific question.

That sounds like good news. From my old 300D I didn't have access to FEC so I was wary that having an 'ST-E2' in the way might limit some functionality too.

Yeah, I'd read about that. Assuming the ST-E2 works out, stage 2 is to add another flash (probably 430EX). Ideally I'd like to be able to dial the overall flash 'impact' down by a stop or so (via FEC) to control the 'ratio' of flash to ambient light and then use the ratios to control the proportion of light from each flash - does that sound plausible?