Question for Razor...

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Sofa-loafer, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Razor, can I ask you a question about your Q6600/Asus P5K Premium/ 8800GTX Spec pc?

If so will ya give me the benefit of your experience?

I'm after the same system setup as you except it will be fitted into an HTPC case, a thermaltake DH101 and I want to use a 8800gt instead (slimmer card)

Can you have a look at this case for me and see if you think it will all fit in OK?

link here http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=100&Itemid=61&limit=1&limitstart=5

Nice one & regards,

S-loafer

2. Member 328449

Member 328449

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +342
    Myself and Razor have virtually the same spec machine and I cannot reccommened enough the Akasa Eclipse case. It may be fairly expensive but it is huge which is great for cooling and is made brilliantly for builing as it has a slide out drawer for attaching the mobo.

3. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Already answered here mate.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6250525&postcount=9

But looking at these pics you have linked to i think you will be fine as the overhead view shows there to be enough room. I would say go for it if its the case you want. One thing i will say is that there are only 2x60mm fans at the rear. This isnt very good and I have just upgraded my HTPC because of this.

a - 60mm fans are too noisy even the most silent of fans
    b - They dont move hardly any air at all. A full speed silent 60mm fan moves about 11cfm.

Go for a case with 2x80mm rear fans. They are more quiet and move double the amount of air at the same noise level.

The 8800GT is a hot running card so you will need as much help with airflow as possible. You will also want your htpc to run as silent as possible.

I hope this help mate.

Boratx - I have now changed my mobo since I spec'd up yours. You know me I love an upgrade. :D

4. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks Razor... I read your other reply too!

Yeah, I like the aesthetic appeal of the case but as you said, the 6cm fans are not very efficient.

I've been holding off buying a new PC for 3 months now and I'm ready to invest in a machine that should last me 3-4 years.

Time to make a decision me thinks!

Thanks again...

S-loafer

5. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

Its a great time to buy now and by waiting you have probably saved yourself a few hundred quid. If you need help with the spec just drop me a pm and I would be more than happy to help you out. IMO the most important thing to look at when it comes to HTPC case is the layout inside (ie make sure that there is enough room for all your components), Ventilation, Looks of the case.

Good news is though, there has never been so many cases on the market to buy and prices for these htpc cases are getting more and more reasonable. A few years ago htpc cases were around the £300+ mark.

Good luck mate and happy building. :smashin:

6. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65

Very appreciated... It's good to know that genuine people are there to help! :thumbsup:

So, I need to find me another option re: HTPC case. I'm looking for something sleek, black & will blend in with my (new) AV equipment. I'll start the search tonight!

I'm also in the process of buying an Onkyo SR605 & I'm waiting for the Toshiba 40"ZF to drop in price. I'm also upgrading to SKY HD next Autumn so I'd like everything in place for then.

Regards,

S-loafer

7. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Let me know how you get on with your htpc case. :smashin:

8. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    The Antec fusion is not a bad looking case. Very quiet with the case fans set to low. My cpu fan is the loudest and now needs to be changed.
    It has two 120mm fans in the side.
    although the vfd/lcd on the front is next to useless imo as you can only see it straight on.

9. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Nice to see you in here coombes :smashin:

The Antec fusion case is a good case for cooling but it only accepts micro atx motherboards and not full sized atx mobos, which can restrict how much hardware you can have on your htpc. :)

10. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    :hiya:
    Thats what bothers me about mine now. was looking to upgrade the case and mobo but cant find anything i like (that i can afford :rotfl:)
    Ill have to join you online again soon once i get some more games

11. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Have a look at the Silverstone LC17. Its very good value for money and can be picked up for around £60 without the memory card reader. It is also very good for cooling and has plenty of space for HDDs.

Give me a shout if your up for a few games, its been way too long mate. :smashin:

12. chris57

chris57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Ive been using this case for a fewq builds takes uatx board but provided you use a low height cpu cooler will fit 8800GT and Q6600:-
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125742
    Got one with 3HD's, 8800GT and Q6600 at moment all from the supplied 650W PSU for £50!