Question for property experts - investments

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rich Marshall, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    We're thinking about investing in some property and one piece of advice I keep reading is that an upstairs bathroom is more desirable than a 3rd bedroom.
    Is this always the case as it seems a bit backward to reduce bedrooms for any reason :confused:

And if we did move a bathroom upstairs (assuming we're talking about a small terrace or semi here) what's the best thing to do with the old bathroom? Extend the kitchen or add a downstairs toilet/utility or something else?

I appreciate these are very general questions but just looking for general opinions :)

2. njdbaxter

njdbaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    You are investing so it'll be rented out i presume....

Then keep it as a 3 bed with the bathroom downstairs, better rental income

3. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,136
    Are you renting or selling once you've refurbished?
    If renting, then I'd say the third bedroom would be more desirable and command higher rent.
    If selling then it probably depends on the local area and prices of 2 bed houses with upstairs bathroom vs 3 bed houses with downstairs bathroom. Local agents will be able to advise and you should be able to get info from property websites too.
    If you move the bathroom upstairs I'd say make the existing downstairs bathroom into a wc/utility room if it's a reasonable size.

4. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    common sense dictates third bedroom= attract more families , better rental income.If you intend selling then yes turn spare room upstairs into bathrrom and convert downstairs into other purposes.
    Market as it stands suggests renting as the demand is considerable

5. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,984
    Our bathroom is downstairs, and we've three bedrooms upstairs. We settled on replacing the downstairs bathroom and moving the downstairs toilet (previously in a cupboard) into the bathroom.

Up stairs we are going to take a small slither off the master bedroom(it's a pretty good size) to have an upstairs toilet + basin.

6. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Thanks all, we're going to be renting them out so it looks like it's not a deal breaker then to have a downstairs bathroom. :smashin:

7. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,831
    Even if you were selling it I'm not sure I'd bother moving the bathroom upstairs. It's unlikely a 2 bed house with an upstairs bathroom would fetch significantly more than a 3 bed house with a downstairs bathroom so why spend some of your potential profits converting it?

If you were to live in it and didn't have a regular need for a 3rd bedroom I'd convert it.

8. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    There is of course one reason to convert to two bedrooms if I intend to rent to DSS tenants, the new rules on housing benefit allowance mean they would have to find extra money themselves for a 3 bed so the 2 & 1 bed market could be set of a bit of a boom?

But...do I want DSS tenants?

9. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    It depends on where you intend to invest I guess.

I have a couple of properties, and I don't rent to DSS/UB40, sharers or students, because I don't believe they will look after the place, and probably will also move on frequently anyway.

But I'm fortunate to own in an area where (a) those groups are not common and (b) there are other tenants wanting to long-term rent. Right now I have both properties rented to families who have been there several years, so they look after the place, and I have tenants I trust.

Depending on area you might not be able to be so picky. No point forcing yourself out of your target market.

PS I don't rent to smokers either :)

10. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I hadn't even thought about that :)
    Thanks for your input.

11. digitaldecks

digitaldecks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    I rent two of my properties to the local council housing association. Don't give a monkeys who they put in there. Bought them both cash so it's easier than agent. I meet al regulations and the contract is standard all over uk. Anything breaks fails etc they pay to put it right. If I want my house back I give them 3/6 months and house has to be restored to its original condition. If they fail they are liable. Just a back up plan idea.

Never had a late payment once in 3 years. And no extra costs in repairs as they cover them