1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Pro-Logic users

Discussion in 'TVs' started by preston, Mar 10, 2003.

1. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just purchased a JVC-AV32R25, which has a pro-logic processor and 2 rear speaker terminals. I am keen to buy a couple of speakers but Mrs P is adamant that they look nice and don’t spoil her expensive interior design. Ideally they should be at head height and so I have been toying with buying a couple of slim floorstanders. JVC sell the compatible (bookshelf) speakers for £45 (the pair) and so I am conscious I don’t overspend. I am assuming that the processor is not Pro-Logic II and so the surround channel will have a limited frequency response from 125Hz to 8KHz. The spec for the TV claims that the speakers should be 15W.

The question is what speakers have you got and are you happy with how they look?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I may be completely wrong here,but these will probably be like most of the rear speakers either bundled with TV's or sold by their manufacturers and may not offer as good performance as spending a little more money on say a pair of Mission M70's which are efficient,good sounding,and look nice also,at £73 or less.
    These also have wall mounting brackets available.

3. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Go somewhere like Richer and buy a couple of Speakers for 35 quid. You should not need wall brackets for rear speakers, they are light enough to screw to wall. Just make sure they accept the correct ohms for your set (usually 8 ohms) impedance.

4. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the input guys but I wanted to avoid screwing into the wall and use floorstanders (or maybe a couple of speaker stands). I have run the speaker cable prior to fitting the carpet so as to avoid ugly cable runs on the skirting etc. Mounting on the wall will mean chasing the cable and re-plastering. Mrs P would get angry!

5. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just meant Prologic rear speakers do not give a full frequency response of 20-20,000 Hz. So the speakers do not have to be Castle speaker standard. Also you will get a hissing sound in quiet scenes if they are too powerful.

6. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hear ya, topmba. I don’t know much about speakers and pro-logic systems so anything you can say is appreciated. My idea is to go into an av shop (possibly richer) and ask for speakers as follows:
    i) Pro-logic compatible (ie limited frequency response)
    ii) 15W
    iii) 8 ohms impedance (I’ll check the spec when the TV arrives)
    iv) floorstanders or speakers&stands (to hide the cable run)

I guess I just want nice looking speakers which will hide the speaker cable, are at head level, are pro-logic compatible and don’t cost the earth. I was wondering if anyone out there had managed to find any.

7. Doogy

Doogy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As in my email Preston......if you need stands then the Alphason (think they were SS20) allow the cables to run up inside the stands,have a cable tidy base and come with a pack of different mounting screws/covers to suit most small/rear speakers.