• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question for Photobox users

N

Nick Cartwright

I have started to use Photobox on recommendation from here. So far so good, the print quality is great and the service is fast. I also like the ability to share Albums with other people.

However I have a question for any photobox (or other online service) users. Do you reduce the size of your files if you only want standard sized prints? I am currently loading the full size (8mp) images. Would shrinking the photo size affect the quality? If not, is there an optimum size?

Thanks

Peakoverload

Nick Cartwright said:
Do you reduce the size of your files if you only want standard sized prints?
Nope.

Nick Cartwright said:
I am currently loading the full size (8mp) images. Would shrinking the photo size affect the quality?
Potentially yes because it all depends on how much you reduce it but as long as you reduce sensibly then there shouldnt be any noticeable difference if you only intend printing that file at that one size. If you upload the full res (but compressed jpeg) then you can always print that file at a wide range of sizes.

Nick Cartwright said:
If not, is there an optimum size?

Yup. Details here http://www.photobox.co.uk/quality.html#resolution

HTH

redmax

What I've been doing is this:

When i save to Jpeg in Photoshop CS2 it gives you a dialog box for the quality setting.
This ranges from 1-12. 1 being lowest and 12 highest.

I choose 2 or 3 but the resloution remains the same which is about 5k pixels x 3.5k.

I don't know if this is correct but the pics come back looking how i expect with no loss of detail.

I did the same as you originally but soon filled my bandwidth with a dozen 8mp shots.

Perhaps someone will clarify if I am doing the correct method whcih will help you.

Regards

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
You want the best print quality, I always select at least 10 quality and never reduce the pixel count, photobox don't compress your files even further like some online companies do.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
redmax said:
What I've been doing is this:

When i save to Jpeg in Photoshop CS2 it gives you a dialog box for the quality setting.
This ranges from 1-12. 1 being lowest and 12 highest.

I choose 2 or 3 but the resloution remains the same which is about 5k pixels x 3.5k.

You might not see much difference at 6" x 4", the best thing is to view at 100% when compressing to see how bad it looks close up.

N

Nick Cartwright

I have 13 free credits left from registering, I might do a set of comparisons at different compresions and sizes. I'll only want to get standard sized prints most of the time, and if there's anything larger I need, I can upload the fully, uncompressed image.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
pixelpixel said:
Has anyone tried the photobook option. Just wanted to get some feedback before I try one myself.

yes, loved them. I did a couple for a recent holiday and they came out great. Something special about having your photos in book form, and it saves having them in albums.

I think it lends itself best to 'self contained' things like a holiday, but I also did one of the last 6 months kids photos.

as for the OP question, I always upload full images - you may have an issue with space if you want to keep them up there, but there is always space for prints temporarily. Use a work connection if your home is slow, or ftp them overnight if you have loads.

For a 6x4 you don't need 8mp, but then you do get the flexibility for larger prints. 8mp will print great 20"x30" posters :D

I'd expect you could knock them down to 50% size and they'd still look indistinguishable at 6x4 (i.e. instead of 4000x2000, use 2000x1000 - numbers just for illustration)

GrahamC

If I am going for just normal prints I resize to 1600*1200 and save at 12 quality. I once had the same picture printed after uploading at full rez and after my resize and could see no difference. I am sure the printing system would resize them anyway.

richard plumb did you do any full page images if so what size was you images at?

I have an 8mp camera and was looking to have a few pics as full page.

I think im reading the image size requirements incorrectly!!!

From photo Box
If you are planning to size your images specifically for a book then you should note that we print at 300 dpi. So a full page (edge-to-edge) image would need to be roughly 3366 x 2646 pixels, but we get excellent results from much small images. 1800x1200 will still be fine for all images within the book.

Is that 300dpi x 3366 x 2646 or is it 3366 x 2646 at 72 dpi ??:confused:

Edit!!!
The penny has just dropped!!!!! Now I understand. I can be so stupid some days! Away to look for MrStupid!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom