1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for owners of widescreen TVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by the_saints, Sep 11, 2001.

1. the_saints

the_saints

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Several owners of Toshiba 36ZP18 TVs have complained of two vertical bands (one at either side of the screen approx 2" in from the side) that can be seen on programs with a light background eg football or on a blue screen. It seems the response from engineers is that this is normal for (large) widescreen TVs

Have owners of other brands seen this phenomenon?

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: the_saints ]</p>

2. the_saints

the_saints

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any one????

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was nothing present like that on my Toshiba 32MW7DB. There is also nothing on my current Toshiba 32ZP18P.

4. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they're black bands then you are probably watching programs that are presented in the conventional 4:3 aspect ratio. Most widescreen TVs have a mode to eliminate these bands by stretching the image horizontally to fill the entire screen.

5. retriever

retriever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same Tosh telly as yourself, and, yes its suffers from the same faint bands going vertically down about 2" in from the edges both are a couple of inches wide, both are very faint and only seem to appear when there is a green background like a football or cricket field, there is no evidence of them on the blue sceen. I seem to remember reading a review of this telly a month or so ago and it mentioned about faint bands. I have never seen this on any other wide screen telly, so I would have to say its confined to this model

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Its also present on my Jvc AV28WFX1, but you can only see them on certain backgrounds.

So its not just your make & model of tv.

cheers

7. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just returned a Panasonic TX32PG50 as I was unhappy with the picture, one of the problems was dark banding at the 4:3 positions at either side of the screen which was visable only in certain circumstances, reading other posts in this forum it appears that this is a widespread "problem" on W/S TV's - The TV has shown this problem from new.

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    None on my KV32DX20