1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QUESTION for Fullabeer

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Spacecat, May 27, 2001.

1. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    Hi FUllabeer (Paul)
    I have been folowing your posts re the Tosh MT1 and HTPC with interest as i have that set up (you used to,have a tosh ?).
    I am v pleased with the picture but am still getting the slight vertical lines esp when there is a large expanse of one colour some of the time skies,mountains etc
    .I note that you said you managed to get rid of these completely with this set up .
    I am using WINDVD 2000 (2.64), geforce mx and athlon 900 + windvd genie.
    Could you tell me your exact settings you used to achieve this.
    Thanks

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    My first Toshiba had very obvious vertical lines (vertical streaking/banding) every eight pixel line approx. But the convergence was absolutely spot on.
    On my second unit the lines were much reduced and i noticed the convergence was one pixel width out (not noticable from a couple of feet back!).
    As the second unit gave a better picture the slightly off pixel convergence must help with the vertical "panel structure" helping to smooth out the lines.
    Have you checked the phase shift?.
    Start Windows. Set the phase by going into the Windows shut down screen ie go to "start" select "shutdown" the screen goes dark (rough) but DO NOT press "OK". I then set the phase shift in the Toshibas menu. I adjusted it until the screen (background) was rock solid. You may not be able to entirely get rid of the vertical lines. With the HTPC i found the picture had so much more detail that the lines were almost invisable. The only other option is to slightly defocus the image but i don't reccommend this as a sharper picture is preferable. Let me know how you get on.

PS Are you using a high quality/sheilded VGA cable?
    Paul...

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +526
    thanks for your tips paul, i have got rid of the lines about 90% of the time, they do show up slightly on blocks of colour now and then. It also varies from DVD to DVD as some seem to have practically none at all.
    suppose i am being v picky as the picture is superb