Question for fans of old crts - numbers/figures on an old vhf dial?

gubar

Hi,

I'm making a 3d tv for an animation project. The images I have as reference are fine for the shape, but the text is a bit blurred - I'm not sure if it's just numbered or if there are symbols around the dial - anyone know? I can roughly see 1 to 6, but between 6 and 7 there is something else... also at the top I think between 11 and 0.

thanks if anyone can help,

gubar

gubar

Hi and thanks for the response.

Here it is:

I've got the model finished now so just adding textures.

cheers,

gubar

Attachments

• tv_front.jpg
    tv_front.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 436

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Well, from memory:

Band I (low VHF) was around 47-68 MHz and channels 1 to 5

Band III (high VHF) 170-230 MHz (now used for DAB) used (still uses in many countries but not UK) channels 6-12 or 13.

UK ceased using VHF TV in the mid eighties.

The unidentified marks could be hi-band and lo-band separators.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The top dial is a VHF "Turret" type switched tuner with markings of 1-13...the text to the left of the dial is "VHF"
The bottom dial is a UHF tuner with markings of 21-69 around the dial and the text to the left is "UHF"

gubar

Thanks for the replies.

Chris, thanks for the additional info - I'll try and find out what they look like.

Jaycee, thanks - but I knew what most of the text was... but around the top dial, there is a symbol, at the "6 o'clock" position, that comes between the numbers 5 and 6 (you can make out the numbers fairly easily). And, at the top, it could just be numerically numbered on another look - but there's definitely something else between 5 and 6.

Gubar

gubar

No, it isn't. I can see the shadow, but if you count around, you'll notice that 5 and 6 are not adjacent. There is another symbol in between. It's quite apparent (though not apparent enough unfortunately!).

cheers,

gubar

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
If true, than I still subscribe to my hi/lo band separator mark.

This thread brings back memories of turret tuners, biscuits, cleaning them and modifying them etc. during my DX TV days.
(like picking up Rhodesian TV in Band 1 from both UK and Cyprus).
I still have a Sony (black and white) VHF/UHF pprtable TV that caters for the French 819 line system (as well as UK and continental 625 standards).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

gubar

Hi Chris,

is there a standard seperator mark? Or can it just be a line or anything?

Thanks,

gubar

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
If my theory is correct, they could have used any separator they wanted to; there is no standard.
It's probably just a line though.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

gubar

Hi Chris,

thanks for that. Here's a picture of my modeled TV (line not included yet).

thanks again,

gubar

Attachments

• tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 1,102

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom